328 Route 39. THE HAGUE. Binnenhof.
*667. A. Cuyp, Landscape after storm. — By the second window:
24. Jan Both, Italian landscape; *707. Rembrandt, Andromeda in
chains (ca. 1632). — Exit-wall: 626. Rembrandt, Minerva; 581.
Karel du Jardin, St. Peter healing the sick (4663).
Room XIV (Italian and Spanish Schools). To the left: 309.
Pietro da Cortona, Holy Family; 343. Titian, Venus (so called;
original in the Prado at Madrid); 300. M. Cerezo, Mary Magdalen
(1661). — By the first window: Piero di Cosimo, 287. Portrait of
Francesco Giamberti, 288. Portrait of G. da Sangallo, the architect.
— By the second window: 297. Italian School, Boy’s head. — On the
back-wall: *290. Murillo, Madonna and Child; the Madonna’s face
is described by Justi as the most beautiful ever painted by the
master. *298. Velazquez, Portrait of the Infante Charles Balthazar,
son of Philip IV. of Spain (ca. 1639; a replica of the work in
Buckingham Palace). — 347. Marcello Fogolino, Madonna and saints,
a large altar-piece.
Not far off, in the Korte Vyverberg, is the Municipal Museum
On the S. bank of the Vyver (p. 330), a few paces to the W. of
the Plein and the Mauritshuis, is situated the Binnenhof (Pl. D, 5),
an irregular pile of buildings enclosing an open space, some of them
of medieval origin, and once surrounded by a moat. Most of the
houses have been restored of late, and some of them entirely rebuilt.
About the year 1250 Count William IJ. of Holland, afterwards
elected Emperor of Germany, built a palace here, and this building
was enlarged by his son Floris V., who in 1294 made it his residence.
The stadtholders, from Maurice of Nassau onwards, all resided here.
The Binnenhof is entered by several gates. On the E. of the
Square stands the old Haun or THs Knicuts (Pl. 16), a brick build-
ing of the time of Floris Y., resembling a chapel, with gables and
two turrets (adm. see p. 317; ring the bell beside the archway on
the N. side of the building). We first enter the great hall, which
was restored in 1902-1904 and possesses a fine open ceiling. It
is used for joint sittings of the two Chambers and for the opening
of the States General by the Queen. The second International Peace
Conference met here in 1907 (comp. p. 339). We then ascend the
staircase to the Guruersnor (Pl. 2), or court of justice, the oldest
part of the buildings, adjoining the Knights’ Hall on the E. This
also has recently been restored. We pass through a council-room
to the civil court-room, which is embellished with seven scenes from
Roman history by @. de Lairesse.
The N. wing of the Binnenhof contains the chambers formerly
Occupied by the Srargs GENERAL oF THR NrerHERLanps (Pl. 18;
D,5). The old Hall of the States of the time of the republic, with
allegorical paintings by J. Parmentier, has been restored and is used
as an antechamber for the following saloon, The Tri&yzs Satoon,
Last OCR 2020-09-05 01:03:39
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience