||Pare d’ Avroy. LIEGE. 26. Route. 249
Rue des Guillemins in a straight direction to the *Parc d’Avroy
(P1. B, 5), which is tastefully laid out on ground once occupied by a
dock on the Meuse, and contains a small “pond and the Trink-Hall,
a café built in an Oriental style. At its S. end is a bronze mon-
ument, erected in 1905, to Charles Rogier (p. 124). The square is
pounded by the Boulevard d’Avroy (p. 250) and the Avenue Rogier.
On the side next the latter(E.) is a raised terrace, with four groups in
pronze by L. Mignon (*Bull-tamer, Peasant), Halkin (Boat-tower),
and De Tombay (Horse- tamer). Along the river runs the hand-
some Boulevard Frére- Orban, which the Pont de Commerce (Pl.
B, ©, 5) connects with the Meuse Island.
On the N. side of the Pare d’Avroy rises an eques strian S tatue
of C UigrLgT ag ae (Pl. B, 5), by the sculptor Jehotte (1868). The
emperor, is said to have conferred on the city its earliest privi-
leges, is ee nted in a commanding attitude, as if exhorting his
subjects to obey the laws. The Romanesque pedestal is adorned
with statues of Pepin the Elder (‘of Landen’), St. Begga, Pepin the
Middle (‘of Héristal’), Charles Martel, Pepin the Short, and Queen
Bertha. — A little to the E., in the Boulevard Piercot, isthe Royal
Conservatoire of Music (P1. B, 5), erected in 1881-86, which is
attended by 750 pupils. It contains some mementoes of Grétry
(p. 254; entrance Rue Forgeur 14).
A little to th Ae is the “Botanic Garden (Pl. A, 5), belonging to the
University; the jen is open free all day, the hot -honses only ‘from April
to Jane at 9-1 on Sun. (at other times on application to the head gardener).
& From the Boul. Piercot the short Rue St. Jacques leads to the N.
to the Place Rouveroy (P1. B, 4), which is embellished with a Bronze
Group (‘The Forsaken’) by J. Pollard. Adjacent stands the — [3
*Church of St. Jacques (Pl. B, 4), founded in the 41th cent.,
magnificent edifice in the late- Gothic style, with a polygonal choir
encircled by small chapels. In its present form it dates from 1513-
38, but the Romanesque W. nae of 1163-78, with its low octa-
gonal tower, is a relic of the vestibule (finished in 1170) of the
old church. The Renaissance portal of the N. transept is attributed
to Lambert Lombard (1558-60). — Sacristan, Rue du Vertbois 60,
2, which 265 ft. long, 100 ft. broad, and 75 ft. high, was
restored in 1833 and 1895. Its de coration, particularly the filigree ornament-
ation bordering the arches and the gorgeously-coloured enrichment of the
groined “Vaulting, recalls the Moresco-Spanish style. — The organ-case by
the W. wall was carved by Andreas Severin of Maastricht (d. 1673). —
The S. trans eee contains the modern reliquary of St. James (1889). — The
fine stained-glass windows of the choir, dating from 1520- 40, represent
Abraham’s Sacrifice, the Brazen Ser pent, ‘the Crucifixion, the donors, their
armorial bearings, and their tutelary saints. The elaborate stone-carving
in the choir has been spoiled by painting (1895). To the right is an in-
teresting winding staircase.
From the Place St. Jacques the Rue St. Remy leads to the N.
to St. Paul’s (p. 250).