to Namur. HUY. 30. Route. 269
belonging to Count d’Oultremont. It is said to have been erected
by the Quatre Fils Aymon (p. 261). In the 15th cent. it formed
the central point of the warlike exploits of William de la Marck,
the ‘Wild Boar of the Ardennes’ (p. 261). — To the left, opposite
(410 M.) Engis, stands the chateau of Engihoul. In 1829 numerous
fossil bones (now in the museum of Liége University) were discovered
by Dr. Schmerling in the limestone rocks around Engis, from which
he deduced the then novel theory of the existence of a prehistoric
race of human beings.
12 M. Hermalle-sous-Huy, with a chateau and park, is another
picturesque spot, between which and Neuville the scenery is less
attractive and the banks are flatter. Farther on, at (131/,M.) Flone,
are the large buildings of a former nunnery (16th cent.); and on the
hill above them, to the right (411/. M.), is Baron Van den Steen’s
chateau of Jehay, which contains a collection of paintings.
14M. Amay, a village at some distance from the river, possesses
a Romanesque church with three towers. Neuville, a chateau
of the Prince de Ligne, beyond which the scenery again becomes
more picturesque, lies nearly opposite (151/2M.) Ampsin, where a
ruined tower stands on the bank of the river. In the neighbourhood
is the large Corphalie Zinc Foundry. The train continues to skirt the
hills on the left bank, of which no view is obtained.
18 M. Huy. — Railway Stations. Huy-Nord, 3/; M. from the town;
Huy-Sud, see p. 210. — Hotels. Hor. Terminus, opposite the N. station. —
Hor. pe L’A1GLe-Noir, in the town, below the bridge, R. from 2, D,. 3,
pens. from 6 fr., good.
Huy (245 ft.), Flem. Hoei, a town with 14,100 inhab., the largest
in the Condroz (p. 233), is picturesquely situated mainly on the
right bank of the Meuse, at the mouth of the Hoyour. The Citadel,
constructed in 1822 and strengthened in 1892, rises from the river
in terraces. The works are partly hewn inthe solid rock. From the
railway-station we follow the new Boulevard du Nord for 6 min.;
we then turn to the right by the Rue St. Pierre and (in 4 min.
more) to the left by the Rue Neuve, cross the bridge over the Meuse,
and in 6 min. reach the *Collegiate Church (Notre Dame), a fine
structure in the most perfect Gothic style, begun in 13141 but
renewed after a fire in the 16th century. The elaborate rose-window
above the W. portal and the Bethlehem Portal, on the H. side, with
sculptures dating from the latter half of the 13th cent., should be
noted. In the interior there is a modern Gothic reliquary on the
high-altar, and the treasury contains some notable articles. We
proceed to the left (E.) from the church via the Rue Pont-des-
Chaines, whence the (2 min.) Rue Fouarge leads to the right to
the Grand’ Place, in which is a pretty fountain with bronze figures
(15th cent.). On the promenade skirting the Meuse, 5 min. below
the bridge, is a statue, by W. Geefs, of Jos. Lebeau, a Belgian
statesman, born at Huy in 1794. — The abbey of Newmoustier,
Last OCR 2020-09-05 00:17:30
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience