180 Route 13. ANTWERP. Old Town:
The Courte Rue Neuve and Longue Rue Neuve lead hence to
the E., passing the Exchange (p.174; on the right), to St. Jacques.
The Church of St. Jacques or Sint Jacobs Kerk (Pl. C, 3), in
the late-Gothic style, was begun in 1491 by Herman de Waghemaker
(p. 172) and carried on after his death in 1503 by Dom. de Waghe-
maker and Rombout Keldermans, but owing to the religious troubles,
the work was discontinued in 1526. In 1602 the works were resumed,
and the church was completed in 1656 (the chief portal being added
in 1694). It is a cruciform structure, flanked with chapels on each
side and in the choir also, and is the most important church in
Antwerp after the cathedral, which it far surpasses in the sumpt-
uousness of its monuments and decorations. The wealthiest and
most distinguished families at Antwerp here possessed their burial-
vaults, private chapels, and altars, the most interesting of which is
that of the family of Rubens, in the ambulatory.
The Inrerror (adm., see p. 168), which is of harmonious pro-
portions, is lighted by fine stained-glass windows, both ancient and
modern, the former having been chiefly executed by A. van Diepen-
beeck and J. B. van der Veeken, the latter by J. B. Capronnier and
J. F. Pluys.
S. Atsnz. We begin at the W. end. 1st Chapel: A. van Dyck (?),
St. George and the dragon; opposite, wooden statuette of St. Sebastian,
by A. Quellin the Elder (1661). — On the pier almost opposite is
the tombstone of Hendrik van Balen, the painter, with a Resurrection
by himself and portraits of him and his wife. — 2nd Chapel: M. de
Vos, Temptation of St. Anthony. Opposite, on the tomb of Burgo-
master van Ertborn (p. 189), Mater Dolorosa by Guido Reni. — 3rd
Chapel: E. Quellin the Younger, St. Rochus cured of the plague
(4660). This and the two following chapels contain twelve small
scenes from the life of St. Rochus, executed in 1517. — 5th Chapel:
Fr. Floris, The Holy Women occupied with the Infant Christ and
Transgpts. Marble statues of the Apostles by Van der Voort,
Kerricx, De Cuyper, and others. In the S. transept: Elevation of
the Cross, a high-relief by Van der Voort (1749). Above the portal:
G. van Honthorst, Christ expelling the money-changers from the
Temple, the wings by De Crayer. — The S. transept is adjoined
by the —
CHAPEL OF THE Host, containing a baroque marble altar, fine
marble screen, and statues of SS. Peter and Paul, by P. Verbruggen,
L. Willemsens, and W. Kerricx. To the right of the altar: B. van
Orley, Holy Family (a reduced copy of Raphael’s large Holy Family,
in the Louvre); Jan Matsys, Madonna and Child. The stained glass
of 1626 represents Rudolph of Hapsburg giving his horse to the
priest carrying the monstrance, with the donors below.
Cuore. To the right of the entrance: Assumption by Th. Boeyer-
mans (1671). The baroque high-altar is by Ykens. The statue of
Last OCR 2020-09-04 23:15:56
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience