||SERAING. 26. Route. 207
industrious valleys of the Meuse, the Ourthe, and the Vesdre. The
prospect is bounded towards the S. by the mountains of the Arden-
nes; towards the N. it extends to the Petersberg near Maastricht,
with the broad plains of Limburg beyond.
The Chartreuse (Pl. H, 5,6), an abandoned fortress on a height
on the opposite bank of the Meuse, also commands a charming though
different prospect (finest in the morning). The best point is the
garden of the Hospice de la Chartreuse (Petites Sceurs des Pauvres),
about halfway up the hill. The entrance is from the Rue Thier
de la Chartreuse (ring; ‘/2 fr. on leaving), past the foot of which
runs the tramway E (p. 247). The tramway goes on to Robermont,
with a fine cemetery.
Excursion to Seraing.
STEAMB( (3/s-1 br.), in summer only, every 1/2 hr.; fares 15 & 10 c.
The boat starts oy Coronmeuse (beyond PJ. E, 9) eel stops at the Quai
1 Batte (Pl. C, 3), the Passerelle (Pl. C, 3), the Ecluse de lEvéché
; 5), Para J Fragnée (Pl. C,7), Rivage en Pot (Pl. C, 8),
is, Sc ée, Tilleur, and Se
y (40 min.; fares 50 & 40c.) every genie from the Place du
(Pl B, 3), running enrou h ane Rue de la Régence, along the
the Place de Fr ge (Pl. B, C, 8) to Sclessin, Ougrée,
Tilleur, Pont de Seraing (ohang for Tage a and Seraing (Gare du
Nord), and going on to Lize (Biens Communaux).
Raitway in about 1/4 hr., either on the right bank of the Meuse from
the Station de Longdoz to Seraing, or on the ‘left bank from the Station
des Guillemins to Jemeppe (distance in each case 5 M.). Comp. p. 268.
The*Excursion to Seraing (comp. Map p.225) affords a most inter-
esting insight into the extraordinary industry of the Walloon country
(visitors admitted to the factories by special permission only). As
the steamboat leaves the town it passes under the railway-bridge of
Val-Benoit (Pl. 0, 8; p. 272), beyond which we notice on both
banks numerous iron-foundries and steel- factories of all kinds. —
R. Sclessin, with blast-furnaces and coal-pits. L. Ougrée (rail. stat.,
right bank). R., beyond the first bridge, Tilleur (electric tramway
D; see p. 247). The steamboat has its terminus at Seraing, a little
above the iron suspension - bridge which connects Seraing, on the
right bank of the Meuse, and Jemeppe, on the left bank. The rail-
way-stations are each about 3/4 M. from the bridge.
Seraing (200 ft.; H6t. Bruyére, Rue Colard-Trouillet 19, 2 min.
from the bridge, R. 2-4, D. 2-3 fr.; Hét. du Chemin-de-Fer, near
the station), a town with 41,200 inhab. (70,000 incl. the above-
mentioned suburbs), has ac quired a European reputation on account
of its vast iron-works and manufactories. They were founded in 1817
by John Cockerill (1790-1840), an Englishman, to whom the works
belonged jointly with William I., King of the Netherlands, down to
1830, when he purchased the king’s share and thus became sole
proprietor. His bronze statue, by A. Cattier, was erected in 1874
on the quay in front of the Hotel de Ville. The works are now
owned by a company (Société Anonyme John Cockerill). Visitors