||216 Route 17. MARIEMONT.
of the coal-trade), Boussu (with the castle of that name to the
right), and Thulin. From Quiévrain we return to Mons via Elouges,
Dour, Warquignies, Wasmes, Paturages, Flénu (with one of the
richest coal-fields), and Cuesmes (in 4 hr.). St. Ghislain is the
junction for railways to Lewze and Mons (p. 79); to Ath (see p. 8);
to Baudour (see below) and Jurbise (p. 213); to Warguignies (see
above); and to Flénu (see above) and Frameries (see below). Light-
railways run from St-Ghislain via Wasmes, Pdturages, Eugies, and
La Bouverie to Frameries; via Tertre and Baudour to Lens (p. 7);
and via Tertre to Stambruges.
At Jemappes (p. 215) Dumouriez, with an army of 50,000 men, defeated
22,000 Austrians under the Duke of Saxe-Teschen, who was compelled to
retreat beyond the Meuse, 6th Nov., 1792. — Near Malplaquet, 3 M. to
the S.E., Pichegru defeated the Duke of York on 18th May, 1794, capturing
60 guns and 1500 men.
From Mons ro Paris there are two railways. The more direct is by
Quévy (Belgian customs-examination), Feignies (French customs-examina-
tion), Maubeuge, St. Quentin, and Creil (455 M.). The other line leads via
St. Ghislain, Quiévrain (p. 215; Belgian customs-examination), Blanc-Misseron
(French customs-examination), Valenciennes, Douai, Arras, Longueau
(Amiens), and Creii (176 M.).
From Mons to Charleroi vid Manage, see pp. 2417-219; to Ghent, p. 79.
From Mons to CHARLEROI via Binche and Piéton, 84 M., railway in
2 hrs. (fares 5 fr. 20, 3 fr. 50, 2 fr. 5 c.). Stations Cuesmes, Hyon-C
Harmignies. — 91/2 M. Estinnes, noted for the synods of 742 and 756.
A branch-line runs hence to Faurceulx (p. 213), and a light railway via
St. Vaast (see p. 217) to La Louvieére (p. 217) and to Quévy-le-Grand (see
below). — 11 M. Bonne-Espérance (p. 213). — 13 M. Binche, a pretty town
with 12,200 inhab., where the female part of the community is chiefly
engaged in the manufacture of ‘fleurs a plat’ for the Brussels lace-makers;
celebrated carnival. — 18!/2 M. Haine-Saint-Pierre, connected by a branch-
line and a light railway with La Louvieére (p. 217) and by a light rail-
way with Houdeng-Goegnies and Jolimont (see p. 212). — Near (20!/2 M.)
Mariemont (Restaurant Mairesse, good) are the picturesque ruins of a ch
erected by the regent Mary of Hungary in 1548, but burned down six years
later by Henry Il. of France, and a modern chateau, with an attractive
park. In the chapel of the chateau is the Chasse de St. Maur, a Roman-
esque reliquary of the 12th century. A light railway runs from Marie-
mont to Trazegnies (p. 219) via Chapelles-lez-Herlaimont. — 21 M. Morlan-
welz (HOt. de la Couronne), where the ruins of the Abbaye de I Olive, founded
in 1218, destroyed in 1794, were laid bare in 1896. From (22!/2 M.) Carniéres
a light railway runs to Houdeng-Goegnies (p. 212) vid Morlanwelz, Marie-
mont, and La Louvieére (p. 247). — 24 M. Piéton (branch-lines to Manage,
see p. 217; to Luttre, see p. 158; and to Faurceulx, see p. 213). 27 M.
Fontaine-V Evéque (view of Charleroi, to the right). At (82!/2 M.) Marchtenne-
au-Pont we join the line from Luttre (p. 158). 33M. Marchienne (Lst). —
34 M. Charleroi, see p. 219.
Steam Tramways run from Mons via Vimy and Maisidres to Casteau;
to St. Symphorien; to Ghlin; to Quévy-le-Grand; and to Boussu (see above),
vid Jemappes (see above), Quaregnon (p. 215), Wasmuel, and Hornu.
18. From Ghent to Charleroi and Namur vid
pci 90 M. — Rartway to Charleroi (67 M.) in 23/4-4 hrs. (fares 10 fr, 25,
6 fr. 95, 4 fr. 45¢.). From Charleroi to Mamur (23 M.) in 8/s-41/2 hr.
(3 fr. 60, 2 fr. 40, 1 fr. 40 c.).