||to Luxembourg. FLORENVILLE. 22. Route.
hab., the Orolaunum of the Romans, is the capital of the Belgian
province of Luxembourg. It was destroyed by the Duke of Guise
in 1558; and in the 47th cent. received new fortifications, which
were razed in 1844. The town is situated on a plateau and com-
mands a fine view from the terrace adjoining the church and from
the military hospital, which was formerly a Capuchin convent. The
Provincial Museum contains a collection of Roman antiquities found
in the neighbourhood, including some interesting stone-carvings.
A band plays in the Park in the evening. Steam-tramway to Ethe
(p. 234; 131/) M.). — About 3 M. to the E., on the Luxembourg
frontier, lies the ruined Cistercian abbey of Clairfontaine.
From Arron To Loncwy, 15!/2 M., railway in 5/4 hr. Intermediate
stations: Autel-Bas, Messancy, Athus (see below), and Mont-St-Martin. (At
Haut are an interesting old church, partly of the 10th cent., and
a chateau of the 13th century.) — Longwy (Buffet-Hétel) is the French
frontier-station and seat of the custom-house (comp. p. 287).
122 M. Autel-Bas (see above); 125 M. Sterpenich. — 126 M.
Klein-Bettingen (Luxembourg custom-house; luggage examined),
the junction for the line from Ettelbriick (p. 283) to Pétange
(p. 287).—129 M. Capellen; 131M. Mamer; 1331/5 M. Bertrange.
137 M. Luxembourg, see p. 285.
From Lrsramont To VirTon anp ATHUS VIA Berrrix, 514/) M.,
railway in 31/9-4 hrs. (fares 7 fr. 80, 5 fr. 30, 3 fr. 15 c.). — 13/4 M.
Recogne, near the source of the Lomme; 5 M. Rossart.
8M. Bertrix (4440 ft.; Hét. du Commerce), with 2400 inhab.,
is the junction of the line to Houyet (R. 21).
From Bertrix a diligence runs four times daily to (8 M. to the 8.)
Herbeumont (1010 ft H6t. des Ardennes), a fayourite summer-resort and
excursion-centre, beautifully situated above the valley of the Semois.
Fine view from the old ruined castle.
1411/) M. St. Médard; 131/) M. Straiment; 19 M. Lacuisine.
24 M. Florenville (1160 ft.; H6ét. du Commerce, good; Hét. de
la Poste) is a small town on the Semois (p. 232), 41/4 M. from the
station, where hotel-omnibuses meet the train. Among the many
asant excursions that may be made thence are those to Chiny,
with a ruined castle, 31/9 M. to the N.E.; and to the ruins of the
Benedictine Abbey of Orval, situated on the 8. verge of the exten-
sive forest of Orval, T1/) M. to the S. — 24 M. Izel is succeeded
by Leautiful woods. 33 M. Meix-devant-Virton.
361/. M. Virton (760 ft.; Hdt. dw Cheval-Blanc, R. & B. 24/p,
D. 2, pens. 5 fr.), a town with 3500 inhab., lies in an attractive
neighbourhood, where numerous Roman antiquities have been
found. The railway-station, situated at St. Mard, on the left bank
of the Ton, a little to the S., is the junction for lines to Marbehan
(p. 234) and to Montmédy in France.
We continue to ascend the valley of the Vire. 38 M. Chenois;
39 M. Latour, with a ruined castle; 42 M. Signeulx. — 461/5 M.
Halansy. — §11/ M. Athus (920 ft.), the last Belgian station before