_ 200 Route 13. ANTWERP. Avenues, Park,
At the end of the Avenue des Arts, to the right, stands the
National Bahk (P1. C,.5), with its round corner-turrets, built in
1875-80 in the Flemish Renaissance style by Beyaert. The archi-
tectural details are admirably executed. In front of the bank are
a Fountain and a group of Samson and the Lion by Jos. Dupon.
At the end of the AvENUE DE LInpusTRIE (Nyverheids-Lei ;
Pl. C, 5), on the left side, is the Palais de Justice, erected in
1871-75 by Baeckelmans in the French style, and resembling the
chateaux of the period of Louis XIII.
The AvEnuE Du Sup (Zuider-Lei; Pl. B, 5, 6) passes near the
Synagogue and the Museum (pp. 185, 186). — Farther on, on the
left, is the new church of SS. Michel et Pierre (P1. B, 6), built in
the early Christian basilica style by Fr. van Dyck, with open roof
and rich mosaics. — At the end of the avenue is the South Station
(p. 164). : ae
Near the centre of the present town, to the E. of the Avenue des
Arts, lies the Park (Pl. O, D, 4, 5), laid out in 1867-69 by M. Keilig
(p. 143). It occupies the site of an old lunette, the moats of which have
been converted into an ornamental sheet of water, spanned by achain-
bridge. In the N. angle of the Park isa marble statue of the painter
Quinten Matsys (ca. 1460-1530), by H. de Braekeleer, erected in
1853; on the N.W. bank of the pond a gilded genius of fame, by
A. Crick, commemorates the poet Jan van Beers (1821-88), and
further on are monuments to the painter Th. Verstraete (1854-1907),
by G. Charlier, and the magistrate E. Allewaert (d. 1889), by Fr. Joris.
— From the Matsys monument the Avenue Rubens leads to the
statue of the painter Hendrik Leys (1815-69), by J. Ducaju, in the
Avenue Louise-Marie, in which (to the N.E.) there is also a large
Jesuit college (Collage Notre Dame). — The Avenue Rubens pro-
ceeds thence to a bronze statue of the painter David Teniers the
Younger, by J. Ducaju(1867). To theS., in the Rue Bex, is a Protest-
ant Church (Pl. D, 5) containing four paintings by Alb. De Vriendt
(d. 1900). — The Avenue Van Eyck leads to the Place Loos (Pl.
D, 5). The space in front of the church of St. Joseph (see below)
is embellished with the Loos Monument, by Jul. Pecher, erected in
commemoration of the destruction of the old fortifications (1859).
It consists of a statue of Antwerpia on a lofty base, surrounded
with figures representing commerce and navigation. In front is
a marble bust of Burgomaster J. F. Loos (1848-62).
Between the Avenue Moretus and the Avenue Charlotte rises
the Cuurou or Sr. JosspH (P1. D, 5), a modern Romanesque build-
ing by Gife. The interior is adorned with frescoes of the Passion,
by Hendrix.— In the Boul. Léopold, opposite the end of the Avenue
Charlotte, is a statue (by Ducaju, 1861) of Boduognatus, the chief
of the Nervii, who headed the Belgic opposition to the invasion of
Julius Cxsar in 57 B.O.
Last OCR 2020-09-04 23:26:34
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience