374 Route 43. AMSTERDAM. Oude Kerk.
No. 184 in the adjacent Rozen-Gracht, now filled up, is marked by
a tablet); the Ohurch of the Remonstrants (Pl. C, 3), which contains
portraits of preachers by Th. de Keyser, Jac. Backer, and others;
opposite it a Gabled House of the 17th cent., now a conservatoire
of music; and the Noorder Kerk (Pl. C, 2,3), by H. de Keyser (1620).
To the E. of the Exchange, on the other side of the busy War-
moes-Straat (p. 370) is the —
Oude Kerk (Pl. D, 3), a cruciform edifice, erected about the year
1300, with an ambulatory and radiating chapels. The lofty and
slender W. tower dates from the 15th century.
The Interior, which is entered through the sacristan’s house (on the
E. side, No. 76; 20 c. each pers.), is supported by 42 slender round pillars,
and covered with wooden vaulting. Immediately to the right, in the am-
bulatory, are two large windows containing the armorial bearings of all
the burgomasters of the city from 1578 to 1767; in the second window,
an inscription of 1648, commemorating the recognition of the Netherlands
by Philip IV. (p. xl). — The beautiful *Stained Glass in the windows
of the former Lady Chapel, dating from 1555 and restored in 1903, represents
scenes from the history of the Virgin (Death, Adoration of the M Visi-
tation, and Annunciation), and is supposed to have been des gned by
Pieter Aertsen (1555). The monument of Admiral Van Heemskerck, by one
of the central pillars, bears an old Dutch inscription, alluding to his en-
deavour to discover a more direct route to China by the Arctic Sea and to
his wintering on Nova Zembla (comp. p. 381). He fell in 1607 at the vic-
torious Battle of Gibraltar. The church contains also monuments of Ad-
mirals Sweers (d. 1673), Van der Zaan (d. 1669), Cornelis Jansz (d. 1633), and
Van der Hulst (d. 1666), and of Marshal Wirtz (d. 1676).
At Oudezyds-Voorburgwal No. 40 lies the Museum Amsielkring
(Bl. 11; D, 2, 3), a collection of Roman Catholic ecclesiastical anti-
quities, paintings, engravings, and coins (adm., see p. 366). The
building was used in 1663-1886 as a Roman Catholic Church.
In the Nizuwx Marxr (Pl. E, 3), where the rag-fair is held, is
the St, Anthonieswaag, or old weigh-honse, built as a town-gate
in 1488 at what was then the E. border of Amsterdam; it has two
Massive round towers and two smaller towers. At a later period it
was used by several guilds, and is now occupied by the Municipal
Archives (‘Gemeente-Archief’; adm., see p. 367). The unaltered
room of the masons’ guild is interesting (fee). To the N. is the
Fish Market, which presents a lively scene during the mom ing-hours,
— To the §.H. the St. Anthonie-Breestraat leads to the Joden-
Bree-straat (see p. 376).
The S. side of the Nieuwe Markt opens on the picturesque Gracht
Kloveniers-Burgwal (p. 369), on the BE. side of which stands the
Trippenhuis (Pl. E, 3; No. 29), a private house built in the so-called
classic style in 1662 by Phil. Vinckboons for the brothers Trip, and
now occupied by the Royal Academy of Science.— The HooasrRaat,
which crosses the Gracht near this point, forms part of a busy
thoroughfare beginning with the Damstraat on the W., near the Dam
(p. 871), and ending with the St. Anthonie-Breestraat on the Hier
whence the traffic follows the Joden-Breestraat (see p. 376).
Last OCR 2020-09-05 01:35:33
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience