442 Route 54. UTRECHT. Ant. Museum.
On the E. side of the old town is the famous Maliebaan (PI.
E, F, 3, 2), a triple avenue of lime-trees, nearly !/. M. in length,
which was spared by the French armies in 1672-73 at the express
command of Louis XIV. Many of the old trees have, however, been
replaced by young ones, and the general effect is now apt to be
On reaching the BmutstRaat, at the N.E. end of the Maliebaan,
we cross the railway to the right and reach the small Hoogeland
Park (Pl. F, 1, 2), in which is the —
Antiquarian Museum (Museum van Oudheden; Pl. F, 2), estab-
lished by the city in 1838. It occupies a building in the Greek
style, originally erected as a private house in 1825 by Suys, but
altered for its present purpose in 1890 and adorned with coloured
ornaments after antique patterns. Adm., see p. 437. Detailed
catalogue (1878) 13/, fl.; small illustrated guide (1892) 30 c.
GrounD Froor. Rooms I & Il. Roman and Germanic Antiquities,
chiefly from the neighbouring Vechten, once the site of a Roman camp.
Roman tombstone (R. ID) found at Utrecht in 1740. The cases along the
exit-wall contain Roman vases, coins, and gems; small terracotta figure
of a dwarf with a scroll. — Room III. Medieval Sculptures and Archi-
tectural Fragments; column with the figure of a bull, from the old Church
of Our Lady; stone-coffin of the 9th century. — Room LV. Carved wooden
chimney-piece (16th cent.); frieze of a chimney-piece with stone figures;
Romanesque window. — Room V. Stones from gables, some of those in the
2nd section medigval; in the 3rd section, to the right, busts of men and
women. — Room VI. Stone chimney-piece with painted Renaissance orna-
ments; frieze of a chimney-piece, with Renaissance figures and ornaments;
stones from the gable of the old Stadhuis of 1546, taken down in 1824;
instruments of torture. — Room VII. Chimney-pieces of the 17th cent.;
wrought-iron railing (end of 17th cent.).
First Froor. Room I. Upper part of a gable in the Renaissance
style, with a statue of Charles V.; old views of Utrecht. — Room II.
Relics of the Utrecht Guilds; weights and measures; uniforms; medieval
shirt-of-mail, In the middle, dies for coins and medals of Utrecht. —
Room III is arranged in the style of about 1500; enamelled tiles on the
floor (ca. 1350); chimney-piece of 1561, recently repainted; portrait of
Pope Hadrian VI.; Utrecht statuettes of saints, in terracotta (ca. 15(0);
dies for seals; view of Utrecht about 1400 (from old paintings). —
Room IV, arranged in the style of about 1600. Renaissance organ-gallery
from the Buurkerk; wooden mantelpiece and reading-desk. — Room V,
arranged in the style of about 1700. Elaborate chimney-piece in the style
of Louis XIV. Ceiling-paintings and embossed gilt-leather hangings
from private houses. Dutch ‘*Doll’s House’ of 1680, an interesting re-
production of a patrician dwelling, with numerous figures, ivory carvings,
and paintings on the walls by Moucheron, Saftleven, W. van Mieris, and
other artists. Richly carved table, on which the peace of Utrecht is said
to have been signed (1713). French holster-pistol, with rich Renaissance
ornamentation (46th cent.). Marble bust by R. Verhulst (1656). — Room VI,
arranged in the rococo style of about 1750. German hangings, painted in
imitation of Gobelins tapestry. — Room VII, arranged in the style of
1791. Silk hangings. Collection of Utrecht coins and medals. — Rooms
VIII-X. Ecclesiastical Antiquities. In R. VIII is a stained-glass window
by R. van Zyll (1599), from the St. Jakobskerk (p. 441); also two wooden
figures (King David and bass-viol player) from the old organ of the cathedral.
In Room IX: Relief of John the Baptist (11th cent.); statues of SS. Eligius,
Catharine, and Martin (44-15th cent.); tomb-relief of a canon of St. Mary's
(15th cent.); Gothic wooden consoles from convents in Utrecht; casts of
monuments in Utrecht churches; fragment of a ceiling-painting (ca. 1500)
Last OCR 2020-09-05 02:15:59
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience