||DELFT. 38. Route. 311
3 M. Schiedam (De Visschery, plain; Amer. Cons. Agent, Anders
C. Nelson), on the Schie. with 31,400 inhab., is celebrated for its
‘Ho ae 1s’ and ‘Geneva’ (so called from the Jenever, or juniper-
verry With which it is flavoured), of which there are still about
( ) distilleries, in spite of a recent decline in the trade. Schiedam
has also a large stearine candle factory, ashipyard, and a considerable
erain-trade. Tramway (No. 8) to Rotterdam, see p. 304.
From Schiedam to the Hook of Holland, see p. 294.
M. Delft. — Hotels. Wiruetmina Horter (Pl. a; A, 2), Haag-
th EBLAULADE Ho TEL t CENT (Pl. b; B, 4), Wynhaven 7, R. &
A, 5), Buitenwater-Sloot 1, near
at the above-named hotel, ‘plat du
a oot (Pl. B, 4, 5), ‘plat du jour 50 c.
Post & Paleerern Office (P1. 8; B, 4), Hypolitus-Buurt.
Steam Tramway from the old Rotterdam Gate (Pl. B, C, 6), with several
ations on the Oude Delft, to the Hague Gate (Pl. A, 2), and thence via
30 mi } p. 345, No. 41).
Rotterdam via Overschie eight ae daily in 11/2 hr. (fare
25 c. or 15c.; starting from the Zuidwal, Pl. B, 6), a very attractive trip.
Delft, an old-fashioned town of 34,000 inhab. (4/3 Rom. Cath.),
with remarkably clean canals bordered with lime-trees, is situated
on the Schie, which flows into the Meuse at Delfshayen. The town was
almost totally destroyed by fire in 1536, and in 1654 it was seriously
damaged by the explosion of a powder-magazine; but it still
numerous interesting buildings of the 16th cent., espe-
at the Wynhaven (P1 B, 4) and in the Koornmarkt (Pl B,
A) and Voorstraat hea Ac BS 3). Delft was the birthplace of Hugo
ae Groot ( Grotir 38-4645), the statesman and scholar (tomb
and monument, see = 313) and of the painters M. van Mierevelt
(4567-1644; comp. p. xi) and Jan Vermeer van Delft (1632-75 ;
comp. p. lxv). In the 17th and 18th cent. the fayence of Delft, made
in imitation of Chinese and Japanese porcelain, was celebrated
throughout Europe. This industry afterwards fell into decay but has
evived by Messrs. Joost Thooft § Labouchére, whose factory
; 4) is not, however, open to eae
ving the railway-station (Pl. B, 5, 6) we bear to the left
towards the Houttuinen, cross the Singees Gracht. and then walk
along the canal called Binnenwater-Sloot (Pl. B, 4, 5) to the Oude
Delft, which traverses the town from N. to 8. On the right bank
of the latter is the Polytechnic School (Pl. B, 5), on the left bank
the Gemeenlandshuis van Delfland (Pl. 3; A, B, 4), with a Gothic
facade of the beginning of the 16th cent., in sandstone.
A melancholy celebrity attaches to the Prinspnuor (PI. A, 3, 4),
also on the Oude Delft, as the scene of the death of William of
Orange, the Silent, the founder of Dutch independence, who was
assassinated here on 10th July, 1584 (see p. xxxix). The Prinsen-
hof, previously a monastery, was fitted up in 1575 as a residence
for the princes of Orange and was afterwards long used as a barrack.