||286 Route 33. LUXEMBOURG. Hot. de Ville.
Paris, which crosses the stream in one huge span of 280 ft. Both
bridges command fine views of the deep valley of the Pétrusse.
On the further side of the river runs the Boulevard du Viaduc,
' with the Place dela Constitution (Pl. B, 3). — The Place Guillaume
(Pl. ©, 3) is embellished with a Statue of William IL, King of the
Netherlands, by Antoine Mercié of Paris (1884). The Hotel de Ville
(Pl. 42), on the S. side of the square, contains the Pescatore Mu-
seum, a small collection of Dutch and modern French paintings
(inaccessible at present), which is about to be transferred to a new
building. — The Gothic cathedral of Norrs Damn (P1. C, 3) has
a late Renaissance portal (1621) and a baroque organ-loft.
A little to the E. of the Place Guillaume lies the Panars GRAND
Duoan (Pl. C, 3), a tasteful Renaissance building with two oriel-
windows, erected in 1580 and rebuilt in 1890 et seq.; it was orig-
inally the town-hall and later the seat of the government. Beside
the Palais is the Chambre des Députés (Pl. 2; C, 3).
The life of the town focuses in the Puacs p’ArMes or PARADR-
Pravrz (Pl. B, 3), where a band often plays in the evening in sum-
mer. Onits E. side is the Cercle, a municipal banqueting-hall. On
its W. side stands a monument, by Federspiel, erected in 1903 in
honour of the native poets Dicks and Lents (BIA B43):
The site of the fortifications has been converted into a public
*Park (Pl. A, B, 3-4; good views). No visitor should omit to walk
through the park, past the bronze statue (Pl. 14; B, 2) of the Duchess
Amélie of Saxe-Weimar (d. 1872), by Patre, to the view- terrace above
the Hich road, in front of the Fondation Pescatore (EE BA 2)s
Another pleasant excursion may be made from the Marché-aux-
Poissons (Pl. C, 3) vid the Rue St. Michel to the Boue or Bock
(Pl. D, 2,3), a precipitous rock, connected with the upper town by
the Pont du Chateau (Pl. D, 3), It bears the remains of the old ducal
castle and is honeycombed by curious underground fortifications
(adm., June-Sept., 9-10 & 2-3 on week-days, 2-5 on Sun. & hol-
idays, 20 pf.; entr. below the church of St. Michael). On the Plateau
du Rham (Pl. D, 3), opposite, on the other side of the valley (S.);
are some fortifications known as the ‘Spanish Towers’.
Of the magnificent castle and gardens of the Spanish Governor
Prince Mansfeld (1517-1604), in the suburb of Clausen (21. B, 2);
no vestige is left, except a small portion of the wall and two gate-
ways, into which several Roman sculptures are built. On a rock
here is a colossal statue of St. Joseph.
The old Vauban Barracks (Pl. C, 2), in the suburb of Pfaffen-
tal, not far from the Alsette Bridge, with its two well-preserved
fortifled towers (17th cent.), contain the Musée National or National
Museum, with collections of natural history (open on Tues. &
Thurs., 2-5) and antiquities (open on Mon. & Wed., 2-5).
The most important contents are the mosaic pavement from Medernach
(p. 283), the Roman glass, terracottas, and coins, and the objects found in