280 Route 32. STAVELOT.
Farther on the road forks: the right arm leads via (41/2 M.) Cour, Bor-
goumont (with a Provincial Sanatorium), and La Gleize 262) to Coo.
To Remoucuames, 10-12 M. (carr., see p. 276). The foat descends the
valley of the Wayai to the station of Za Reid (p. 275), and then ascends
to the left, through a pretty valley, to Hestromont and the Village of La
Reid (942 ft. ; 2 M. from the station), where there is a lime-tree with a
girth of 18 ft. (planted in 1640). It here unites with the steep but more
direct bridle-path (8/s hr. less) from Marteau (p. 278) via Vieux-Pré. Beyond
Hautregard the road descends to Remouc hamps (p. 261).
The Luxembourg line Tee Spa at first runs towards the E.,
traversing a hilly and partly-wooded district, and afterwards turns
to the S. (views to the left). 121/, M. Sart- les-Spa (4224 ft.); 15 M.
Hockai (village on the hill to the left); 17!/) M. Francorchamps
(1529 ft.). We then descend rapidly, soon obtaining a fine view of
Stavelot on the left.
221/5 9M. Stavelot(950 ft.; Hot. d’ Orange, 30R. at 2, B. Ars aed oy
S. 11/5 fr., good; du Commerce, R. & B. Qo, D. 2 fr.), a busy manu-
facturing town with numerous tanneries and 8540 inhab., on the Am-
bléve, which was the seat of abbots of princely rank and independent
jurisdiction down to the Peace of Lunéville in1801. The Benedictine
Abbey was founded as early as 651, and its possessions included
Malmedy (see below). Part of the Romanesque tower only of the
abbey-church is now extant. The parish-church contains the *Chdsse
de St. Remacle, Bishop of Maastricht in 652-62, a reliquary of em-
bossed copper, gilded, enamelled, and bejewelled, 61/5 ft. long, 2 ft.
wide, and 31/4 ft. high h (apply to "the sacrist an; fee). The niches at
the sides are filled with silver statuettes of the Twelve Apostles,
St. Remaclus, and St. Lambert (Aix-la-Chapelle School, 13th cent.).
From StaveL orto Coo. The following route ( 5-6 M.) is recommendéd
to pedestrians. A few paces from the station in the direction of the town
(fine view) a path crosses the railway and leads to the left. Beyond the
village of Parfondry the path forks (guide-post), the branch to the right,
crossing the hill, being the shorter, that to the left affording a good view.
Near Coo is the "Belvédere Jean.
About 5 M. to the N.E. of Stavelot (diligence twice daily, crossing
the Prussian frontier halfway), in a pretty basin of the Warche, lies the
Prussian town of Malmedy (1083 ft.; Cheval Blanc, R. 2-8, B. 1, D. 2 M4,
good; Grand Cerf; Europe), the chief town of a Walloon eae which
formerly belonged to the independent Benedictine abbey of Malmedy-
Stavelot (see above) and fell to Prussia in 1815. From Malmedy to Aiz-
ta-Chapelie (p. 275), 54 M., railway in 3'/, hrs.
The line now follows the valley of the Ambléve. — 251/) M.
Trois-Ponts (see p. 262), where carriages are changed. Cascade of
Coo, see p. 262. — Continuation of the line to (45 M.) Trois-
Vierges (and Luxembourg), see R. 28
Last OCR 2020-09-05 00:26:54
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience