||314 Route 38. VOGELENZANG.
The railway journey from Delft to The Hague occupies 9-13
minutes. At stat. Ryswyk the celebrated peace between England,
France, Holland, Germany, and Spain was concluded in 1697, in a
palace that no longer exists. The treaty is commemorated by an
obelisk (70 ft. high) erected in 1792 by the Stadtholder William V.
141/) M. The Hague, see p. 315. Railway to Gouda, see p- 433.
201/5 M. Voorschoten; to the right rises the church-tower of the
village, which is known for its manufactures of silver-wares (estab-
lished in 1835) and connected with The Hague and Leyden by
steam-tramway (p. 317). The train now crosses the narrow arm of the
Rhine which retains the name down to its efflux into the North Sea.
24M. Leyden, see p. 344.
From LEYDEN TO WOERDE (for Utrecht), 21 M., rai
6 M. Hazerswoude-Koudekerk; § M. Alphen-Oudshoorn; 2
dam; 14M. Bodegraven (steam-tramway to Gouda, p. 433); ¢
From Woerden via Harmelen to Utrecht, see p. 433.
251/9 M. Warmond. To the left rises a large Roman Catholic
seminary. — 30M. Piet-Gyzenbrug is the station for Sassenheim,
once a favourite resort of Countess Jacqueline of Bavaria (p. 299),
which lies 4!/) M. to the E., on the steam-tramway from Leyden to
Haarlem (p. 344). Sassenheim possesses a small Romanesque church
(12th cent.) and a ruined castle (4 1th cent.). To (3 M.) Noordwyk,
see p. 354. — 32 M. Lisse ; 35 M. Hillegom. We pass extensive fields
of hyacinths and tulips, in bloom in spring (chiefly to the right;
comp. p. 355).
37 M. Vogelensang.
About 11/2 M. to the E. of stat. Vogelenzang, near the village of
Bennebroek, is situated Hartenkamp, a country-residence, whe inné (Lin-
neeus), the celebrated Swedish naturalist, resided in 1736 with his
wealthy patron George Clifford, who was English ambassador at that time.
Linné wrote his ‘Hortus Cliffordianus’ here.
The line traverses for a short distance the E. slopes of the
North Sea Dunes, which here and at Alkmaar (p. 410) attain their
greatest height (200 ft.) and greatest breadth (3 M.).
42 M. Haarlem (p. 354) is the junction for Amsterdam, and for
Alkmaar (Enkhuizen) and the Helder (R. 44).
The Amsterdam line turns towards the E., running parallel
with the canal and the highroad in a perfectly straight course. The
Fort aan de Liede is seen on the right, immediately after the
train has quitted the station. The line now traverses an extensive
plain, formed on the tight by the Haarlemmer Polder, and on the
left by the more recently reclaimed Polder of the Y (see p. 367). The
Haatlemmer Polder was reclaimed in 1840-53 from a lake known as
the Haarlemmer Meer; its area is about 72 sq. M.
At (A7M.) Halfweg strong lock-gates formerly separated the waters
of the Y from the Haarlemmer Meer. The only relic of the old chateau
of Zwanenburg (now a sugar-factory), built here in the 17th cent.
by Pieter Post (p. 319), is the facade (visible from the railway).
521/y M. Amsterdam, see p. 362.