University. BRUSSELS. 10. Route. 12 79
d’Arenberg and the Rue de l’Keuyer. The 8. half, ending at the
Rue des Bouchers, is named Galerie de la Reine; the N. half, with
the Théatre des Galeries (p. 95), is called Galerie du Roi, from which
the Passage des Princes diverges.
The Rus pz LA Maperzrns (PI. D, 3, 4), with its attractive shops
and several Renaissance facades of the 17th cent., is one of the
busiest and most crowded streets in Brussels. At its upper end it
is joined on the right by the Rue Saint-Jean and the Rue del Emp-
ereur (p. 133), and on the left by the Rue Cantersteen (see below).
— In the triangle enclosed by the Rues de la Madeleine, Duquesnoy,
and St. Jean, is the Marché de la Madeleine (Pl. D, 4; band, see
p. 95), erected by Cluysenaar in 1848, with galleries round the in-
terior and a main hall at a lower level, entered from the Rue Du-
quesnoy (fine banqueting-hall of 1908). The adjacent Galerie Bortier
contains numerous shops of dealers in second-hand books.
The MontaGne DE LA Cour (PI. D, 4), the final steep section
of this line of streets, is undergoing a complete alteration. The
houses on the N. side have been pulled down. The Rue Couden-
berg, which ascends in curves at an easier gradient, has at present
a series of low buildings on one side only, in which the shopkeepers
expelled by the demolition of their former premises have sought
refuge. No definitive scheme has yet been adopted for the treat-
ment of the vacant sites between these two streets. It has been
proposed to build here a Mont des Arts, a spacious edifice designed
by Henri Maqnet (d. 1909), rising in terraces and suitable for
museums, exhibitions, festivals, etc. — Atthe top the Montagne
de la Cour ends at the Place Royale (p. 99).
The Rue Cantersteen (see above), which diverges to the N.E.
between the Rue de Ja Madeleine and the Montagne de la Cour,
leads to the —
University (Pl. D, 4), established in a Renaissance palace, built
in 1559-64 by Seb. and Jak. van Noyen for Cardinal Granvella
(p. xxiii), and altered in 4744. It was founded by the leaders of
the liberal party in 1834, as a rival of the Roman Catholic University
of Louvain (p. 241), and, like that, is independent of the state, being
supported by the province, the city, and private individuals. It
comprises faculties of philosophy, the exact sciences, jurisprudence,
technology, and medicine, the last of which has its chief quarters
in the Pare Léopold (p. 141). The number of professors is about
100, of students about 1000. The court is adorned with a Statue of
Verhaegen (d. 1862), one of the founders, by W. Geefs.
The 8. wing of the university abuts on the Rue des Sols (Stuiver-Straat),
which is continued to the E. by the Rue Terarken (Pl. E, 4). In the latter
is (right; No. 14) the Gothic Ravenstein Mansion, erected about the middle
of the 1oth cent. for Count Adolph of Cleve, enlarged in 1613, and since
1900 the property of the town of Brussels. The interior (restored in 1893)
18 now occupied by the Société Générale dArchéologie and other societies.
The entrance is near the top of the Rue Rayenstein (P1.D,4), a street with
steps, ascending to the Rue Coudenberg (see above).
Last OCR 2020-09-04 22:40:54
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience