||A20 Route 47. GRONINGEN. St. Martin’s.
Heere-Straat 54, 50 R. from 2 fl. (incl. B.), D. 1/2 fl., very fair; Friccr
(Pl. a; C, 4), Heere-Straat 76, GO R. from 11/2, B. 3/4, D. 43/, fl. — ZevEen
PRovVINcIEN (Pl. d; C, 3, 4), in the Groote Markt; Horex Frieszanp (Pl. e;
C, 4), Kleine Pelster-Straat 4, 25 R. from 41/2 fl. (incl. B.), D. 11/;f., well
spoken of; Hover Bogersema, near the Central Station, R. & b. 43/, fl.;
Horer Evzenca, Carolie-Weg 413, 50 R. at 13/,-21/2 fl. (incl. B.); HéTEL
Kiscu (Pl. f; B, 5), Station-Straat 7, 30 R. from 43/s-2!/; fl. (incl. B.), Hore,
Ktexk (Pl. g; B, 4), Aa-Kerkhof, 50 R. from 43/, fl. (incl. B.), both Jewish.
Cafés-Restaurants. Café Suisse, D. 1}/s fl., Royal, Métropole, Heere-
Straat 28, 23, and 22.
Post & Telegraph Office (P]. B, 4), Munnekeholm.
Booksellers. P. Noordhoff, Oude Boteringe-Straat 12; Scholtens & Zoon,
Groote Markt 43.
Tramways. 1 (blue). From the Noorder- Station (Pl. A, 1) via the
Nieuwe Ebbinge Straat (Pl. B, 4, 2), Groote Markt (PI. C, 3), and Heere
Plein (Pl. C. 5) to Sterrebosch (beyond Pl. D, 6). — 2 (green). From the
Krane-Weg (Pl. A, 4) vii the Gronte Markt (P). CG, 3) and Nieuwe Weg
(Pl. D, 3, 4) to the Wieww Ziekenhuis (P1. D. 2, 8). — 3 (red). From the Groote
Markt (Pl. C, 3) vid the Emma Plein (Pl. B. 5) to the Hoofd - Station
(Pl, B, C, 5). — Steam Tramways vii Paterswolde to Eelde and vid Haren
to Zuidlaren (p. 426; popular excursions).
British Vice-Consul & Lloyd’s Agent, U. J. Schiltuis.
Groningen, the capital of the province of the same name, with
(8,370 inhab., lies at the junction of the Drentsche Aa, or
Hoornsche Diep, and the Hunse, or Drentsche Diep. The latter is
called Rettdiep from this point to its mouth (121/, M. to the N.W.),
and, like the Damster Diep and the new Ems Canal, is navigable for
small sea-going vessels. Groningen, the birthplace of the painters
Jos. Israéls and H,. W. Mesdag, is the most important town of the
N. Netherlands, with considerable trade. Rape-seed and grain are
the staple commodities of the place.
The historical records of Groningen date back to the 9th cent., and
from 1040 it was under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Utrecht. It
joined the Hanseatic League in 1282, was captured by Prince Maurice
of Orange in 1694, and was vainly beleaguered by Bishop Bernhard von
Galen in 1672.
The life of the town is focussed in the Hzzrx-Srraar (PI. C, 4,5),
the prolongation of the Stations-Weg leading from the railway sta-
tion, and in the Groors Marxr (Pl. ©, 3, 4), in which are the
church of St. Martin and the Stadhuis.
The Church of St. Martin (Pl. C, 3) is a Gothic brick structure
of the 13th and 46th cent., with a lofty tower (320 ft.), built in
4477 (top restored after a fire in 1627; set of chimes; view), and
an organ built by Rudolph Agricola (d. 1485), a famous scholar and
Musician born near Groningen. Adjoining is the Old Regthuis, a
small brick building of 1509 (Pl. 2; restored in 1899), now used
as a guard-house. — On the W. side of the market is the extensive
Stadhuis, restored in a pseudo-classical style in 1787. Behind is
the elegant Goudkantoor (Pl. 7) of 1635. — In the adjacent Oude
Boteringe-Straat (Pl. B, 3) rise the Law Courts, a fine brick edifice
with gables (16th cent.). d
The University (Pl. B, 3), founded in 1644, occupies a new
building (opened in 1909) in the Dutch Renaissance style, which