||228 Route 19. SEDAN.
3 min, from the steamboat-quay, R. 2-3, B. 1, D. 3, pens. 6-8 fr.;
Bellevue, plain), terminus for the steamers from Dinant, and junc-
tion of the railway via Doische to Chimay (p. 220). On the right bank
of the Meuse, here spanned by a handsome peeee is the abbey-
church of Hastitre, founded in the 10th cent.; the present building
is a basilica of 4033, with a choir of 1260 (recently restored).
281, M. Heer-Agimont (Hét.-Restaurant Franco-Belge, R. 21/5-5,
D.3 fr.), with the Belgian custom-house, and near the ruined Chateau
Agimont. On the right bank red marble is quarried. — We then
cross the French border.
31 M. Givet. — Hotels. *Gnr.-H6r. p’Ancurrerre, Place Méhul,
near the station, 20 R. from 3/2, B. 11/;, D. 4, omn. 1/2 fr.; Mont v’OR,
Rue Thiers 44, 20 R. from 2/2, B. 4, D. 31/2, omn. 3/2 fr.; good; Hor. pt
COURRIER-DES-ARDE etc. — Railway R
Carriages with ats, 8) c. per drive, 4/2 fr. per hr.; with 4 seats
. and 2 fr.; outside the octroi-limi and l/s fr, per hr.
Steamboats to Hastiere-Waulsort, connecting with the boats to Dinant;
also upstream to Vireux, etc.
Givet (860 ft.), with 7500 inhab., picturesquely situated on the
Meuse, which is crossed by a bridge here (fine view), consists of @ivet-
St-Hilaire on the left bank, at the base of the steep hill on which
the fort of Charlemont lies, and Givet- Notre-Dame on the right bank.
Givet-St-Hilaire contains a monument to the composer Méhul (1765-
1817), who was born here. — At Fromelennes, 2!/. M. to the E. of
Givet, is an interesting cave named the Trou de Nichet (adm. 2 fr.).
Givet is connected with Charleroi by two railways, the Vireux-
Mariembourg-Charleroi (p. 220), and the Doische-Acoz-Chatelineau
line (p. 220); journey by the former 2'/5-23/4, by the latter 21/4-
From Giver To Sepan, 48 M., railway in 2-3 hrs., vid Mézitres-Charle-
ville (Hdtel du Nord, very fair, Hot. du Midi, both at the rail. station;
carriages changed), two towns adjoining each other with 7900 and 18,800 in-
Sedan (525 ft.; Hét. de la Croix-d’Or, Place Turenne, H6t. de Europe,
Rue Gambetta 27, R. at either from 3, B. 41/4, déj. 3, D. 8/2 fr., incl,
wine), a prettily situated town with 19,600 inhab., formerly fortified. The
Place d'Alsace-Lorraine here contains a War Monument, while in the Place
Turenne stands a monument to Marshal Turenne, born at Sedan in 1611
(d. 1675). Here a memorable battle took place between the Germans and
French on ist Sept., 1870, terminating in the total defeat of the latter
and the capture of the emperor and 83,000 men (including 1 marshal, 39
generals, 230 staff-officers, and 3000 other officers). The French army
numbered 124,000 men, the German 240,000, but part of the latter only
was actually engaged. — Carriages and guides to the battlefield may be
obtained at the hotels. Tramways run from the Place Turenne to the
railway station, Torey, Bazeilles, and other points.
Those who desire only a rapid visit to the battlefield before return-
ing, via Luxembourg or Metz, should alight at Donchery, the station before
Sedan. From the station we procced straight on through the villa;
cross the Meuse, and follow the Sedan road to the left on the left bank.
From the (11/4 M.) cross-roads (about 590 ft. above the sea-level) below
Frénois we follow the right (S.W.) arm, ascending past Frénois towards
Cheveuges. At the (4!/2 M.) warning-board for cyclists we take a steep footpath
to the left, which ascends to (10: min.) the height (980 ft.) where King Wil-
liam had ‘his headquarters during the battle, ‘and where on the evening of