282 Route 33. KAUTENBACH. From Trois-Vierges
picturesquely situated on a hill round which flows the Clerve, and
which the railway pierces by a tunnel. The old castle of the seig-
neurs of Lannoy, now belongs to the Count de Berlaymont, the old
arrangement of the interior being preserved (fee). The peasants’
rising in 1798 to oppose the army of the French revolutionaries is
commemorated by a monument. On a rocky knoll opposite the
station (S.) lies the Loreto Chapel.
A pleasant walk may be taken along the left bank of the Clerve, via
Drauffelt (see below), to Encheringen near Wilwerwiltz (see below); and
thence over the hills (the Plackige Lei) to Erpeldingen and (31/2 hrs. from
Clervaux) Niederwiltz (see below). — Omnibus from Clervaux to Dasburg
(p. 289), 5/2 M.
Several tunnels now follow. 91/2 M. Drauffelt. 11 M. Wilwerwiltz
(Schwinnen-Huberti’s Inn); diligence via the high-lying village of
Hosingen (Hippert’s Inn) to Dasburg (p. 289). The valley contracts,
and the line threads five tunnels and crosses ten bridges. Between
the second and third tunnels, to the left, is the picturesque castle
of Schtitburg, still partly inhabited (ascent in 3/4 hr. from Kauten-
bach via Altscheid, fatiguing).
15 M. Kautenbach (Rail. Restaurant, with rooms), a village at
the meeting of the Wiltz and the Clerve.
From Kautenbach a branch-line (Prince Henry Line) runs to Benon-
champs (p. 236) up the picturesque valley of the Wiltz, passing through
deep cuttings and two tunnels (beyond Merckholtz, the first station), The
chief station is (51/2 M.) Wiltz, consisting of Viederwillz (1050 ft.; Hames’s
Inn, at the station), a brisk little town with leather and cloth factories,
on the left bank, and Oberwiltz (4310 ft.; HOt. du Commerce, 12 R. at 21/2 3,
B. 1, D. 21/2 fr.), situated on a narrow ridge above the right bank of the
river, with an old castle restored in the 1/th cent. and now fitted up as
dwelling-houses (best view from the road to Esch).
From Wittz to Escu, 6 M. by the highroad (carr. from Hames’s Inn
in Niederwiltz, 6 fr. there and back). From Oberwiltz pedestrians follow
the shorter footpaths beginning beyond the road to Rullingen (diverging
to the right) and rejoining the highroad farther on. On the hill to the
right lies the village of Biiderschetd. A little lower down we find ourselves
at the mouth of the tunnel by which the road to Esch penetrates the high
and serrated wall of the Kohlesterlei. Beyond the tunnel the road ascends
along the left bank of the Sure or Sauer (fine retrospective view of the
cliffs) and in 1/; hr. reaches Esch-on-the-Sure (920 ft.; Hétel de la Sure,
pens. 5 fr., very fair), in a romantic and sequestered situation, from which
it is called also Esch-le-Trou (‘Esch in the hole’). The old “Castle, formerly
belonging to the ducal family of Lorraine, which occupies the top of a
steep slate rock, bifurcated by a deep indentation and surrounded by loftier
heights, was purchased in 1902 by Count d Hulst, who is restoring it.
The best view of the castle-rock is obtained from the S. side. — About
3 M. to the S. is Zschdorf (1640 ft.; Hét. Weiler, well spoken of), in a lofty
situation commanding extensive views.
___ From Escu ro Gésetsminte, 7/2 M. by the highroad descending the
Sure valley, enclosed by wooded mountains, a very interesting excursion
on foot (2!/2 hrs.) or by carriage. The road diverges from the Wiltz road
at the finger-post (‘10 kilomatres’) beyond the tunnel (see above), just on
this side of the Sure bridge, beyond the inn of Reuter-Pennink, and remains
on the left bank; on the right bank is the prettily situated village of
Heiderscheidergrund. 3M. adler, with a waterfall. Below the Bochholtz
Mill, to the left, is the huge Teufelsiei, and near Derenbach another steep
Tock rises from the river. We now cross the Sure twice and reach the
narrow ravine of Gébelsmiihle (p. 283),
Last OCR 2020-09-05 00:31:04
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience