||242 Route 24. LOUVAIN. University.
(Salle des Pas-Perdus) still bear testimony to the wealth and taste
of the founders. The Library, founded in 1724, one of the most
valuable in Belgium (160,000 vols., valuable MSS. ), is adorned with
fine wood-carvings and a colossal sculptured group representing a
scene from the Flood, executed by Geerts in 1839. The entrance-
hall contains portraits and busts of professors.
The University was founded in 1426, by Pope Martin V. and Duke
John IV. of Burgundy. In the 16th cent. it numbered 4000 students and
there were 43 colleges. Under Joseph II. it was closed for a time, but
was reopened and continued to exist until the close of the 18th century.
No one could formerly hold a public appointment in the Austrian Nether-
lands without having taken a degree at Louvain. After having been closed
in 1797 by the French Republicans, the university was revived by the
Dutch government in 1817, and a philosophical faculty was afterwards
instituted, notwithstanding the determined opposition of the clergy. Since
1834, when the university was given up by government, it has been main-
tained by the bishops as a free (¢.e. independent of the state) Catholic
university (comp. p. 127). It possesses 5 faculties, and is attended by
1600 students, many of whom live in large colleges (Colléges du Saint
Esprit, des Joséphites, Marie-Thérése, du Pape Adrien, etv.). — Connected
with the university are a technical academy (Ecole du Génie Civtl, des
Aris et Manufactures et des Mines), an Institut Agricole (Pl. 4; B, 3), and an
Ecole de Brasserie.
Farther on to the right, at No. 40, is the Collége du Saint-
Esprit (Pl. B, 3; see above). Three rooms on the groundfloor are
occupied by the Musée Spoelberch-Lovenjoul, which contains Chi-
nese porcelain (some made in imitation of Dutch patterns), furni-
ture, and paintings, including the wing of an altar-piece attributed
to Dierick Bouts, with the donor and his patron saint (adm. on Sun.
10-42 & 2-4, on Tues. & Thurs. 2-4, 50 c.). — The church of
St. Michael (St. Michel; Pl. C, 3), erected for the Jesuits by L. Faid’-
herbe in 1650-66, with an imposing facade crowned by an attic, is one
of the most striking creations of the Belgian baroque style. — Farther
on, at No. 109, on the left, beside the Athénée Royal (Pl. 1; B, ©, 3),
is an elegant Brick Facade in the Gothic style (15th cent.).
The pretty Pare St. Donat (Pl. C, 3) contains a tower dating
from the oldest town-wall. — A monument by P. Braecke in the
neighbouring Marché-aux-Grains (Pl. C, 3), erected in 1899, com-
memorates LH. Remy, the manufacturer (4813-96). — Near the Place
du Peuple (Volksplaats), a few paces to the E., is the modern Gothic
church of St. Joseph (Pl. C, 3; spire still unfinished), containing
good frescoes by C. Meunier and E. Dujardin, and paintings in the
choir by G. Gujfens.
The Rue de Bruxelles (PI. B, A, 2) leads to the W. from the
Grand’ Place (p. 240). — The church of St. Jacques (Pl. A, B, 2;
verger, Rue de Bruxelles 179), standing a little back from this
street, on the left, dates from the 15th cent. (choir from 1785): “Tt
possesses a St. Hubert by De Crayer (in a chapel in the left aisle),
and a Gothic tabernacle in stone, executed in 1538 by G. van den
Bruyne, with a brass balustrade in the Flemish Renaissance style,
cast by Jan Veldeneer in 1568 (left transept). In the sacristy are