284 Route 33. MERSCH. From Trois-Vierges
the Weisse Erenz (the Arantia of the Romans). The finest view is obtained
from the rocky terrace called the Himmelsberg, to the E. of the church.
On a rock rising perpendicularly above the town are the extensive ruins
of the old “Castle (reached by the ‘Chemin de la Ruine’; small fee to
the attendant; ring). The castle, which is surrounded by a park, was
destroyed by the French in 1683, but the hall, chapel, kitchen, and well-
house may still be identified. The tower on the opposite rock is a relic
of a fortress which completely commanded the valley.
From Larochette we may proceed up the valley of the Erenz to (1/s hr.)
£renzen, and then ascend to the right to (1 hr.) the park and chateau of
Meisemburg, dating from the 16th cent. but complete red in the
18th (shown in the absence of the owner, the D An alter-
native route diverges to the right befcre reaching I
the pretty rocky valley of the Manzenbach. From Meisemburg we
on via Fischbach (chateau) and Weyer to Burglins 288) in 2}/. a oe
vid Angelsberg to Mersch (see below) in 11/2 hr.; vid (2!/2 M.) Christnach to
the valley of the Schwarze Erenz (p. 291) and to (7 M.) Consdorf (p. 288).
311/o M. Mersch (720 ft.; Hét. Brandenburger ; Steffen; Weyer),
a small town with 1250 inhab., situated at the confluence of the
Eisch, the Mamer, and the Alzette, possesses a castle (now private
property) restored in the 17th cent. and a small collection of Roman
antiquities. Mersch is a convenient centre for excursions.
Excursions. — The Valley of the Eisch is characterized by pictur-
esque sandstone formations and fresh green woods. We proceed from
Mersch, via Reckingen, to the (1'/; hr.) chateau of *Hollenfels, perched upon
a weather-beaten rock and now occupied by a farmer (small fee). The
newer portion of the building dates from the 16th cent.; the remains of the
older part include a lofty tower (fine view from the top), with two vaulted
chambers. On the way to the castle is the figure of a saint, hewn out of
the solid rock. — Farther on we pass the ruins of the nunnery of Marienial,
adjoining which is a building (founded in 1886) occupied by Dominicans,
aud follow the widening valley to (20 min.) the chateau of Ansemburg,
a building of the 17th cent., with a garden in the French style. Opposite
is the old. chapel, on a steep wooded slope. A little farther on is the
village of Ansemburg (Schenten’s Inn), commanded by the picturesque ivy-
clad ruins of the old *Castle (key in the village), situated ona lofty sand-
stone rock. Fine view from the top. The best view of the village and
old castle is obtained from a meadow beyond the modern chateau, reached
by a bridge over the Eisch. From Mariental we may return to Mersch
in 1'/2 hr. by ascending to the E. to the Alaushof and then descending
into the valley of the Mamer past the chateau of Schénfels. — About 3/4 M.
beyond Ansemburg the road forks, the left branch leading vid Dondelingen
and Aopstal, and through the picturesque Bauwmbiisch Forest to (21/, hrs.)
Luxembourg, while the right branch proceeds towards the W. in the
valley of the Fisch, passing Bour, to (1 hr.) Simmern (Simon-Wagner’sinn),
properly Stebenborn, French Sepifontaines, with an interesting church and
the ruins of a castle, picturesquely situated near the top of a wooded
hill. Continuing to the S.W. through wood, via (1 hr.) Kérich, with a
high-lying old church and a ruined castle, we reach Steinfurt or Hagen
(p. 283; 5-5'/2 M.).
34 M. Lintgen; 351/, M. Lorentsweiler (vid Blascheid to Burg-
linster, 11/5 hr., see p. 288); 381/, M. Walferdingen or Wolferdange
(785 ft.), with a grand-ducal chateau; 401/) M. Dommeldingen or
Dommeldange, with blast-furnaces, also the station for the manu-
facturing town of Hich (opposite) and the junction for the narrow-
gauge railway from Luxembourg to Echternach (p. 288). — The
train now passes Pfajfental (p. 285), traverses two lofty viaducts
Last OCR 2020-09-05 00:33:04
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience