Nieuwe Kerk. AMSTERDAM. 43. Route. 371
taining old portraits of ponies and other reminiscences of the naval
heroes of Holland (adm., see p. 367).
On the filled-in portion of the Dampax Canat (Pl. D, 2, 3),
f thoroughfare between the Central Station and
the Dam, stands the Exchange (Pl. D, 3), a massive brick building
by H. P. Berlage (1899-1903), the lateral fagade of which is 460 ft.
i gth. The bell 1 ‘De Beursbengel’, in the lofty square
tower of the is used to intimate the opening of
forming the chi
containg three paintings on tiles by Jan
; (Barte er), the Present (Manufactures), and the
Samaria). The Produce Exchange, form-
e building, is 16,388 sq. ft. in area (visitors
hours). Beyond, to the left, are
Corn hange (Mon., Wed., &
change. — In the front part of the second
2 room of the Chamber of Commer with stained-
ym the designs of A. J. Derkinderen. — On the basement
ge fety vault, which may be inspected.
The Dam (Pl. D, 3), which marks the W. end of the oldest
settlement in Amsterdam, forms the focus of the business-life of
city and one of the central points of the tramway-system
: ne Mo nument in the centre commemorates the fidelity
eB elgian Revolution in 1830-31. The Dam
Palace, the Nieuwe Kerk, and, on the S.,
the club- a of t the old Zee manshoop € Sompany, beside which the
beavers Straat (p. 373) begins. The Damstraat (p. 374), to the E.,
is another busy < hfare.
The Nieuwe Kerk (Pl. D, 3), a late-Gothic cruciform structure
h ambulatory and radiating cha pels, was erected about 1408 and
restored after fires and outra AD A5. It has
recently been freed from the buildi
R (sacristan at Dam 25 c.) is covered in
wooden ling, and in the aisles with stone
remnants of some fine old stained glass (N.
e of Leyden (p. 345). The
° is beautifully carved. The
choir by a fine brazen screen, 13 ft. in height.
is occupied by the monument, by Rombout
d Admiral de Ruyter (p. 295; ‘immensi tremor
of wounds received at the victorious Battle
ur in the choir (to the right, high up) is the bust
of Rear-Admiral Wolter Bentinck, who fell in the naval battle near the
Doggert in 1781. Another monument (N. transept) is to the memory
of miral Jan van Galen, who died in 1653 at Leghorn, of wounds re-
i in the naval battle off that town. The monument of Admiral Van
asbergen, to the left of the entrance to the church, by P. J. Gabriel,
was erected in 1819. Opposite to it, in the S. aisle, is the monument of
the gallant Lieut. Van S; who in 1881 ‘maintained the honour of his
count flag at the cost of his life’ by blowing up his gunboat that had
run ashore near Antw erp, in order to keep it from falling into the hands
of the Belgians. — A large stained-glass window, designed by Mengelberg
and executed by Schouten of Delft, placed in this church by the Dutch
nation in 1898, to commemorate the taking of the constitutional oath by
The e place
Last OCR 2020-09-05 01:33:43
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience