St. Jaeques. ANTWERP. 13. Route. 181
St. James and the choir-stalls were carved by the older and younger
Quellin. The stalls still bear the arms of the patricians to whom
they once belonged.
Awmubatory. §. side: By the wall of the choir, Confessionals
by A. Quellin, Willemsens, and others. Above the first of these:
Goubau, Dead body of Christ (1655); to the left of the second:
M. de Vos, Ecce Homo (1562). — 1s t Chi upel: A. van Noort (2; p. liv),
#The Trit (St. Peter giving Christ the fish with the piece
of money). — On the pier opposite, Corn. Schut, Pieta. — 2nd Chapel:
Seghers, St. Ives. — 2rd Chapel: Seghers, Appearing of Christ.
4th. Rubens Chapel, behind the high-altar. The tomb of the
illustrious painter (d. 30th May, 1640, at the age of 64) is covered
by a tombstone of 17 bearing a long ins scription in Latin. The
ltar-piece of this chapel is a late work by Rubens (covered; best
light 42-2 p.m.).
The Oly Child is rey
I nted sitting in the lap of the Virgin and
0 St. Bonaventura. Before the Madonna is St. Jerome, while
on the ne tt is St. G yeorg ith three holy women. According to tradition
these saints ane ei family portraits. St. Jerome is said to be the father
of Rub he painter on and the three women his two
Lunden, whos portrait in the National Gallery
famous under the name of the ‘Chapeau de paill The
r, doubtful, for the exeention of the work differs from
in his later years, in which alone the portraits
The marble carvings on the altar are probably the work of Lue.
Fai@herbe (d. 1694), with whom Rubens was intimate. On the right
and left are the monuments of the Baronesses Stier de Aertselaer
and Van Havre, two descendants of Rubens, executed by W. Geefs
(1839 ang 1850). To the right, above, monument of the son of
Rubens, by A. Quellin the Elder.
Above the next door: Th. Rombouts, Betrothal of St. Catharine
(1634). — 5th Chapel: Jordaens, San C arlo Borromeo among persons
sick of the plague. —6th Chapel: Van Lint, St. Peter taking leave of
St. Paul; School of Rubens, Ecclesiastic and two patricians at prayer.
— 7th Chapel: Victor Wolfvoet, Visitation (1639). — On the wall
of the choir: P. Thys, The Trinity.
The CHaPEL oF THE VircIn, in the N. transept, contains
stained glass by J. de Labarre (1641) and stalls by A. Quellin the
Elder; also, to the left of the altar, A. Quellin the Elder, Pieta, a
small painted sculpture in wood, 1650.
N. Transert. Above the portal, G. van Honthorst, Christ among
the Doctors in the Temple; on the wings, Seghers, Annunciation,
and Adoration of the Magi. By the next wall: P. Thys, Assumption.
N. Arstz. 2nd Chapel, on the E.: M. de Vos (?), Madonna in
glory (triptych); Peter van Avont, Madonna and Child in a garden,
surrounded by angels; stained glass representing the Last Supper,
with portraits of the donors (1538). — 3rd Chapel: B. van Orley (?),
*Last Judgment; on the wings St. Adrian and the Burgomaster Rockox,
Last OCR 2020-09-04 23:16:21
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience