||430 Route 50. ZUTPHEN.
44\/,M. Brummen (Hot. ’t Kromhont), prettily situated. To the
F. rise the hills of the Veluwe (p. 423), The train crosses the Yssel
together with the line from Apeldoorn (p. 428).
181/5 M. Zutphen. — Hotels. Sorviz, Zaadmarkt 91, R. & B. 23/4-3,
D. 13/;, omn. 1/4 fl.; Hotnanpscue Tuin, Groenmarkt 16, R. & B.2fl. (0 c.-
3 fl., D., incl. wine, 2!/; fl., god; Ketzerskroox, Water-Straat 45. — Café-
Restaurant Frans Vulker. — Sleum Tramways to D ietinchem, kmmerich, etc.
Zutphen, situated at the confluence of the Berkel and the Yssel,
is a town of 19,000 inhab., with a considerable timber-trade. The
most important edifice is the Gothic Church of St. Walpurgis, or Groote
Kerk (verger, 25 c.), dating from the 12th cent., with ambulatory
and radiating chapels (under restoration). It contains a copper *Font
supported by lions, in the Renaissance style, cast in 1527, a Gothic
candelabrum of gilded iron (spoiled by its conversion into gas-
brackets), and half-relief sculptures on the pulpit, all of which are
worthy of inspection. The chapter-house, in which the capitals of
the columns are noticeable, contains the old *Library, dating from
pre-Reformation days; the books (about 400, including valuable
MSS. and incunabula) are chained to the desks. The unattractive
upper part of the tower dates from 1637. Opposite is the Stadhuis,
with a noteworthy hall (15th cent.). — The Wynhuis contains a
collection of local antiquities; the name is a reminiscence of the
former transit-trade in Rhenish wines. The adjacent Wynhuis Tower
(17th cent.), on the groundfloor of which is the police-office, has two
galleries and contains a good set of chimes. The vestibule, in the
Lange Hoofdstraat, dates from 1660. — Several of the *Brick
Buildings (16-47th cent.) in the Zaadmarkt, Groenmarkt, etc., are
architecturally interesting. — The chief remains of the old town-
walls are the Drogenapstoren, a turreted Gothic gate; the so-called
fuine, a rampart above the Yssel; and the Nieuwstads- Poort,
through which the son of the Duke of Alba (p. 355) forced his way
into the town on Nov. 16th, 1572.
The battle of Zutphen, at which Sir Philip Sidney was mortally
wounded, was fought in 1586 at Marnsveld (2) min. from Zutphen by
steam-tramway), between the Ssaniards and the English allies of the
Dutch, who were at that time besieyiny the town.
From ZUTPHEN TO WiINTERSWYK, 27'/2 M., railway in 1 hr. Stations:
Vorden; Ruurlo (junction for Zevenaar, p. 447, for Hengeloo, and for
Enschede-Oldenzaal, p. 429); Lichtenvoorde-Groenlo, The line is prolonged
from Winterswyk across the Prussian fro :tier to Bocholt and Wesel (p. 447)
and also to Dorsten. No quick trains. A branch-line runs from Winters-
wyk to Zevenaar. — From Zutphen to Deventer and Zwolle, see p. 428.
Beyond Zutphen the train crosses numerous canals and tribut-
aries of the Yssel. Stations: Laren, Lochem, both connected by steam-
tramways with Deventer and Boreulo(p. 428); Markelo; Goor;
Delden (De Zwaan, R. & B. 13/4, D. 11/2, pens. 34/2 fl.). Near Delden
is the chateau of Twickel, with a fine park. — At (47 M.) Hengeloo
we join the line coming from Deventer; see p. 428.