to Utrecht. S HERTOGENBOSCH. 53. Route. 435
line); 76 M. Best; 821/, M. Boxtel (p. 455). 87/o M. Vught, with
a massive Gothic tower (46th cent.) and the attractive chateau of
Maurik. Just short of ’S Hertogenbosch we are joined by the line
from Tilburg (p. 455).
90 M. ’S Hertogenbosch. — Hotels. Dz GoupEn Lzzvw (Lion d'Or),
Schapen-Markt 6, 40 B. at 2!/s-2l/o, D. 21/;, omn. 1/4 fl., well s en of;
GrognHuis, Pensmarkt 6, 24 R. at Q-D/o, B. 3/;, D. 18/4 fl.; Cenrran, with
café-restaurant, 30 R. at 41/o-13/, fl, Hor. Noorp-Brasant, both in the
Groote Markt; Hér. pu Commerce, at the station, well spoken of. —
Railway Restaurant. — Tramway from the station to various points in the
town. — Steamboat to Nymwegen and Arnhem, also to Rotterdam.
"§ Hertogenbosch, or’S Bosch, French Bois-le-Duc, on the Dom-
mel, the Aa, and the Zuid- Willems-Vaart (p. xxxviii), the capital of
the province of N. Brabant, and strongly fortified down to 1876,
with 35,000 inhab., derives its name from Duke Godfrey of Bra-
pant, who conferred municipal privileges on the tow. in 1184.
The Groote Markt is reached in about 8 min. from the station
by crossing the Dommel, following the Stations. Straat and Visch-
Straat, and then turning to the right. The Raapuurs here, origin-
ally in the Gothic style, was rebuilt by Pieler Post in 1670. In the
entrance-hall (concierge in the Ridder-Straat) are two mural paint-
ings by A. Derkinderen (1892 and 1897), and on the first floor are
several pictures by Th. van Thulden. The Gemeentelyk Museum, on
the upper floor, is open every forenoon (adm. 1 fl.). It contains
ancient plans of the town and neighbourhood, the silver seals of
the chief magistrates from 1213 to 1795, valuables, coins, a few
paintings, instruments of torture, etc. —The interesting Museum of
the Provinciaal Genootschap van Kunst en Wetenschappen in Noord-
brabant (open on week- days, 2-4), in the Pensmarkt, contains
Roman, German, Frankish, and later antiquities, chiefly from N.
Brabant, manuscripts, pictures, drawings, maps, and coins.
From the Markt we follow the Hinthamer-Straat to the H., then
turn to the right by the Toren-Straat and reach the —
“Cathedral (St. Janskerk). This late-Gothic church, originally
a Romanesque edifice of the 11th cent., was rebuilt after 1280
and again, after a fire, in 1449-50. It is one of the three most im-
portant medieval churches in Holland, the other two being the
Cathedral of Utrecht and the Church of St. Nicholas at Kampen,
both of which it surpasses in richness of ornamentation. It has a
lofty nave with double aisles, and a handsome choir flanked with
chapels. The lower part of the belfry dates from the original edifice.
__ Inventor. The beautiful Renaissance pulpit, by Cornelis Bloemart
(1566-70), is adorned with statuettes (Christ, Evangelists , Saints) and reliefs
from the lives of SS. John the Baptist, Peter, Paul, and Andrew. ‘The large
organ (1617) hag a fine Renaissance case. — The brass font, in the haptistery
adjoining the right aisle, dates from 4492. The Lady Chapel, dating from
1268, adjoining the left aisle, contains a highly venerated 13th cent. image
of the Virgin (‘de zoete Moeder yan den Bosch’), which is annually carried
in procession through the town every evening between July 7th and 16th. —
Last OCR 2020-09-05 02:11:09
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience