||142 Route 10 BRUSSELS.
with the Angel of Evil and Eve after the Fall on the wings; 23. Vision
of a beheaded man (a protest against capital punishment); 28. Napoleon
in the infernal regions (to illustrate the horrors of war); etc. Also paint-
ings viewed through peep-holes, in the style of a chamber of horrors.
Tramways: Nos. 28, 29, 30, 31, and 32, comp. pp. 93 & 94.
To the S.E. of the Quartier Léopold extends the suburb of
Ixelles (Pi. E, F,6; Flem. Elsene), with several wide thoroughfares,
such as the Rue du Tréne, to the S. of the Place de l’Industrie
(p. 125), the Chausse de Wavre, skirting the S. side of the Pare
Leopold (p. 141), and the Chauwssée d’Ixelles. In the Place de la
Couronne (PI. F, G, 6) is a monument to Ant, Wiertz, the painter,
with a bronze group by J. Jaquet (1881). In the Rue van Volsem,
a little to the W., is the Musée Communal (Pl. F, 6; open free
10-5, Oct.-April 10-3), with paintings by Laermans, Hermans,
Verhaeren, Stevens, Boulenger, Artan, and Troyon, and sculptures
by Carpeaux and others. In the low-lying Bas-Ixelles are the two
Etangs d’Ivelles, surrounded by gardens. At the N. extremity of the
ponds, at the end of the Chaussée d’Ixelles, a tasteful monument
by Ch. Samuel was erected in 4894 to Charles de ster (1827-79),
with a bronze medallion, and figures of Thyl Ulenspiegel and his
sweetheart Nele from that writer’s chief work, whicl
iption of the sufferings and feeling of the Flemish people
at the time of the Spanish Inquisition and the revolt of the ‘Beggars’
with the relation of the adventures of Ulenspiegel. — To the S.
is the former Abbaye de la Cumbre, secularized in 1796, now the
military cartographical institute.
Tramways. To the Bo‘s la Cambre and to the Lxhibilion of 1910:
; and 3 via the Avenue Loui Nos. 28 and 29 via the suburb
of Ixelle; 0. 49 from the Inner Boulevards to the Avenue de Longchamps,
on the N. W. side of the Bois. In the Avenue de Longe is
also a station of a line (starting from the Place Rouppe, p. 132) of the
Chemins de Fer Vicinaux.
The “Avenvz Loutsr (Pl. D, E, 6; Flem. Louisa-Laan), a broad
avenue 11/5 M. long, begins at the Boulevard de Waterloo (p. 125)
and, ‘though belonging to the municipality of Brussels, intersects
the 8. W. part of Ixelles, thus forming the approach to the muni-
cipal park of Bois de la Cambre. It is flanked with handsome pri-
vate houses and adorned with several large pieces of sculpture, and
is much frequented, especially in the afternoon. In the Rond-Point,
where the avenue bends towards the S., is “La Mort d’Ompdrailles’,
a group of wrestlers by Ch. van der Stappen (1892; from the novel
by Léon Cladel), where we obtain an attractive view from above
of Ixelles. Farther on is another group, a Fugitive slave and
his son overtaken by bloodhounds, by L. Samain. In front of the
park-gate, on the right, is an imposing bronz group of Wrestlers
on horseback, by J. de Lalaing (1906). — At No. 525, on the right,
is an Aquarium (open 10 till dusk, adm. 25 c.; chiefly fish found in