||of Brussels. LAEKEN. 10. Route. 145
hom died here. The royal Chdteau, built for Duke Albert of
eschen in 1782-84 and restored by A. Balat after a fire in
0, has been enlarged since 1903 by Ch. Girault of Paris. The
large park surrounding the chateau occupies all the ground on the
N. E. side of the town (adm. to the park and hot-houses hitherto
thrice weekly in April and May only).
The Church of St. Mary (Notre-Dame), founded in memory of
Queen Louise (d. 1850), was begun in 1854 from designs by J. Poe-
laert, and though unfinished was consecrated in 1872; it is now in
course of completion. The interior is finely proportioned. The choir
is adjoined by an octagonal building forming the royal burial-vault.
— To the W. of the church is the entrance to the Cemetery, the
favourite burial- place of the fashionable world of Brussels, with
many mortuary chapels and, in the S. part of the cemetery, the
curious leries Funéraires’, resembling catacombs. To the N. of
the old church of Laeken (43th cent.), of which only the choir re-
mains (restored in 1895), situated in the E. part of the cemetery,
is the sepulchral chapel of the singer Marie Malibran (4808-36),
with a statue by Geefs and an inscription by Lamartine.
From the E. side of the church of St. Mary the Avenue du Parc-
Royal, the N. continuation of the Avenue de la Reine, skirts the
royal park, affording many glimpses into it (at the end, on the right,
view of the chateau). All the ground on the left was bought by
King Leopold Il., who converted it in 1878 into the Park of Lae-
ken and presented it to the State in 1903. The Dréve Ste. Anne,
running below the avenue, is of ancient origin. At the (25 min.)
top of the Montagne du Tonnerre (197 ft.) rises a Monument to Leo-
pold I., erected in 18 The statue of the king, by W. Geefs, is
surmounted by a lofty Gothic canopy, somewhat in the style of the
Albert Memorialin London. A gilded genius that formerly crowned
the whole had to be removed on account of its weight (comp. p. 106).
During the summer visitors may ascend a winding stair (door opened
by an attendant; closed 12-2) to the base of the spire, whence a fine
*View (evening - light best) is obtained of Laeken and of Brussels.
— Opposite the monument on the N. is the Villa Belvédére, erected
in 1788 for Vicomte Ed. de Walckiers, and latterly in the possession
of King Leopold II.
On either side of the Villa Belvédére streets lead to the N. E.
gate of the park of Lacken, near the N.W. end of the royal park.
The fountain here is a reproduction of the Neptune fountain at Bo-
logna. Close by on the left is the tramway-station of Gros-Tilleul
(p. 144; Flem. Dikke Linde); on the right is a five-storied Japanese
Tower and a Chinese Pavilion. The Avenue Jules-Praat passes be-
tween these two buildings and runs round the N. and E. sides of the
The steam-tramway proceeds from Gros-Tilleul to (7 M.) Grimberghen,
a suppressed abbey, with a late-Gothic church altered in the 47th cent.