Docks. BRUSSELS. 10. Route. 143
Belgian rivers). — On the left the new Boulevard du Bois de la
ibre leads to the Exhibition. On the left in this boulevard, at
the corner of Avenue Emile Demot, is a group by Th. Vingotte (the
Hane - EEN : 2
*Bois de la Cambre (14/, M. long, 550 yds. broad), the
ae spur of the Forét de Soignes ae 447) ), Was converted into
autiful park after 1860, under the directions of M. Keilic.
the landscape tdener. It is the most frequented promenade
in the environs of Brussels, and on Sun. and holiday afternoons
particularly is thronged with carriages, cyclists, and pedestrians.
The broad main alleys form a double loop, Not far from their inter-
section, in the first loop, is the fashion able La Laiterie Restaurant
(p. $2), and to the right, on the edge of the park, is the Restaur-
ant Trianon. The further loop encloses a small lake with an is-
land (ferry 10 c.), on which is the Chalet-Robinson Café.
The ir ar ground to the E. of the Bois de la Cambre
is the site of the Exhibition of 1910. Tramways, see p. 142.
iways: N and 48, comp. pp. 93, 94
To the § Ww. of Bae ls fe the suburbs of St. Gilles and
Anderlecht- Cureghem (Pl. A, 4-6). The Town Hall of Anderlecht,
a building erected by J. - van Ys endyck in nope a the Flemish
i in the Place du Cor il (Pl. A, 5). in the
‘ on of the Chaussée de Mons (PI. B, A, 4),
lies St. One (ds th ° eneee the handsome Gothic parish church
with a modern spire by Van Ysendyck, old mural paintings restor-
ed), and an interesting crypt of the 14th century. In the Rue des
Vétérinaires is the Ecole Vélérinaire or Veterinary Colleae.
B- The Canal and Docks to the N. W. of the Town.
TR 8 . 144, under Laeke
The proponent to connect Bruss ib by a separate waterway with
the lower, tidal course of the Rupel (p. 88), a tributary of the
Scheldt, was made as early as the 15th century. In 1550-64, after
Charles V. had erected Brussels into a staple, the Willebroeck Canal
was constructed. This canal, which was 171/) M. long. 40 ft. deep,
and had five locks (the diffe rence in level between Brussels and
Willebroeck being nearly 40 ft.), was found to be sufficient for the
needs of the city until well on in the 49th century. In 4895, how-
ever, a company (Société du Canal et des Installations Mentinite de
Brucelles) was ose to widen the canal and to extend the hz arbour,
with a capital of 33,580,000 fr., increased in 1908 to 0 ,580,000 fr.,
almost half of the ie ares being taken by the state, more than one-
third by the city, and one-twelfth by the Province of Br abant.
The practical direction of the work was entrusted to M. Ramaeckers,
the engineer. The new canal is 130-330 ft. in width, and is to be