162 Route 12. MALINES. From Brussels
contains an interesting picture by Rubens, a “High-altar-piece with
wings, a large and fine composition, one of the best of the painter’s
ceremonial works (1647), representing the Adoration of the M agi.
On the inside of the wings: Beheading of John the Baptist, and
Martyrdom of St. John in a cauldron of boiling oil. Outside: Bap-
tism of Christ, and St. John in the island of Patmos. writing the
Apocalypse. Below is a small Crucifixion, also ascribed to Rubens.
The pulpit in carved wood, by Verhaeghen, represents the Good
Shepherd. The high-altar and confessionals are by the same sculp-
tor. The churchwardens’ stalls, by the pillars in the transept, are
by Nie. van der Veeken (1730).
The interesting Gothic building of 1507 at the corner of the Rue
St. Jean and the Rue Frédéric-de-Mérode, a little to the E. of
St. Jean’s, was originally the house of Canon Busleyden; it has
been the Mont-de-Piété (public pawnshop; Pl. C, 2), since 1620.
Part of it is o scupied by the Academy of Music (for church-music),
The Biest, the continuation of the Rue St. Jean, leads to the S.
to the Marché-au-Bétail, or Veemerkt, at the E. end of which is the
church of St, Prrer any Sr. Paun (Pl. 3; C, 3), built in the baroque
style by Faid’herbe in 1670-77, and formerly belonging to the Jesuits.
The unpleasing upper part of the facade was added in 1709. The
church contains paintings of scenes from the life of St. Fr Xavier,
by Er. Quellin the Younger, Boeyermans, and others, and sculptures
by H. Verbruggen (pulpit) and Nic. van der Veeken (confessionals). —
Adjacent, Rue de | Empereur 3, is the former Kazrzersnor, built in
the late~Gothic style by Margaret of York in 1480, afterwards the
residence of Philip the Handsome and Charles V. (till 1516), and
occupied by a Jesuit college from 1644 to 1773. It is now a Theatre
(PLC, D, 3) and comprises practically nothing of the original struc-
ture, except the restored fagade. — Opposite rises the —
PaLats DE Justice (Pl. O, D, 3), or Gerechtshof, a picturesque as-
semblage of buildings, by Rombout Keldermans, enclosing a spacious
court. It was formerly the palace of Margaret of Austria, afterwards
that of Cardinal Granvella, from 1648 to 1794 it was the seat of
the Great Council. It was restored in 1878-86. The older portions
in the late-Gothie style were begun in 1507; the facade, erected
in 1517-26, is the earliest example of the Renaissance in Belgium.
The building contains some fine chimney-pieces and other interest-
ing works of art.
We now return through the Rue de Beffer (W.) to the Grand’
Place and turn from the Schepenhuis (p. 160) into the Bailles-de-
Fer (Pl. B, 3, 4; Yzeren Leen), which ends at the picturesque
Grand-Pont, the central bridge over the Dyle, built in the 13th cent.
and restored in 1594-95,
On the Quai au Sel or Zoutwerf (Pl. B, 4), on the left bank, are
several noteworthy houses of the 16th century. Among the most
interesting of these are the House of the Salmon (No. 5), the guild-
Last OCR 2020-09-04 23:02:59
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience