||256 Route 26. LINGE.
churches, the so-called Vierge de Dom Rupert (a coloured relief of the
11th cent.), Liége glass and pottery, and small curiosities, The two hand-
some Renaissance chimney-pieces and the Renaissance furniture in the
large room (R.V) should be noticed.
SEconpD FLoor. Objects of the Stone Age and other prehistoric antiquities,
The old prefecture in the same street (No. 8) is occupied by a
Musée p’Anmess (Pl. 3; D, 2), in which fire-arms are especially
well represented. Admission gratis daily, except Tues., 10-12 and
2-6 (2-4 in winter), on Sun. and holidays 10-2 only.
Following the Quai de la Batte and the Quai de la Goffe up-
stream, we reach the Pont des Arches (Pl. C, 3), which spans the
Meuse in five flat arches. It was constructed in 1858-62, on the
site of the oldest bridge in the town, dating from the 14th cent.
but afterwards repeatedly destroyed and renewed. The bridge affords
a good survey of the city, extending along the river. The wide Rue
Léopold leads hence back to the Place St. Lambert (p. 254).
The S. end of the Meuse Island is occupied by the Jardin d Accli-
matation (Pl. 0, 6,7) and the Parc de la Boverie (Pl. 0, 6, 7), contain-
ing the Palais des Beaux-Arts, an exhibition-building erected in1904.
Farther to the S. the handsome Pont de Fragneée (Pl. ©, 8)
unites the new quarters on both sides of the Meuse (tramway No. 4,
p- 246). The bridge is embellished with groups of tritons and
sirens and other bronze sculptures by N. Rousseau (1905). At its
E. end is a monument, by Th. Vincotte (1905), to Zénobe Gramme
(4826-91), whose invention of the ring armature in 1871 was a
most important step in the development of the dynamo.
The finest *Virew of Liége is afforded by the Parc du Champ
des Oiseaux (Pl. A, 7, 8), above the Station des Guillemins (p. 245),
reached by the fine Avenue de l’ Observatoire (Pl. A, 6, 7; electric
tramway A, p. 247). At the top is the Boulevard de Cointe, a broad
road commanding fine views, which leads to a ‘Point de Vue’
(Pl. A, 7) and is probably to be prolonged behind the elevated W.
portions of the city as faras the citadel, To the S.is the University
Observatory (Pl. A, 8).
Another magnificent view is obtained from the Parc de la Cita-
delle (Pl. ©, 1), 520 ft. above the sea-level, recently laid out on
the site of the glacis and bastions of the Citadel (now infantry
barracks), which was erected by the Prince- Bishop Maximilian
Henry of Bavaria after the siege of 1649 (p. 248). Carriages (tariff,
see p. 246) approach it by the Rue de l’Académie and the Rue
Montagne - Ste-Walburge (Pl. B, 2, 1). Walkers reach it in 20-
25 min., either from the Palais de Justice (p. 254) by ascending
the steep Rue Pierreuse (Pl. B, 2), or from the Rue Hors-Chateau
by the Montagne de Bueren, a flight of 402 steps beside the Pro-
testant Church (Pl. 0, 2). The electric tramway (C; p. 247) may
be made use of to the end of the Rue de Campine (Pl. B, 41). The
yiew from the new boulevard on the steep S. slope (‘Point de Vue’,
Pl. C, 2) embraces the extensive city, and the populous and