Mica NAMUR. 18. Route. 223
site of an earlier edifice, which was pulled down with the exception
of its belfry.
At the sides of the high-altar are statues of St. Peter and St. Paul in
marble, by Delvaux (d. 1778). The left transept contains the marble monu-
ment of a Bishop Pisani (d. 1826), by Parmentier. At the back of the
high-altar is a tombstone erected by Alexander Farnese to his ‘amatissimo
avunculo’? Don John of Ausiria, the conqueror at Lepinto. who died in
his camp near Bouge, 3/, M. to the E. of Namur, 4st Oct., 1578; his body
was removed to the Escorial but his heart remains here. The pulpit,
carved in wood by K. Geerls of Louvain (1848), shows the Madonna pro-
tecting the city. The treasury contains a golden crown of the 12-43th cent.,
gold and silver crosses, a silver statuette of St. Blaise (end of 44th cent.),
and many other objects of value.
The former Jesuit church of St. Loup (P1.D, 2), with its im-
posing facade, situated in the Rue du Collége, was erected in the
baroque style in 1624-53. ‘The interior contains twelve Doric
pillars of red marble, heavy stucco ornamentation on the vaulting,
and elaborately carved confessionals. The adjoining Athénée Royal
(P1. 2; C, 2), formerly a Jesuit seminary, is now a ‘gymnasium’ or
In the Place d’Armes (Pl. D, 2) rises the Hétel de Ville, with a
few modern paintings (concierge in the glass-covered court). To
the N. is the Belfry (Pl. 4; D, 2), begun in 1388 and rebuilt in
the 16th century. — The convent of the Sceurs de Notre-Dame, in
the Rue Emile-Cuvelier, to the N. of the Place d’Armes, contains
a rich treasury dating from the 13-44th cent. (shown on applica-
tion). — To the E. of the Place d’Armes are the Hospice d’ Hars-
camp (Pl. B, 2; once a Franciscan monastery founded by Isabella
Bruneel, Comtesse d’'Marscamp) and the church of Notre Dame
(P1. 6; built 1756), in the crypt of which are buried two Counts
of Namur (d. 1391 and 1418). To the S., on the Meuse, is the Kur-
saal (Pl. K, 2), which is to be superseded by a new building in
the Pare La Plante (Pl, C, D, 4).
Immediately beside the bridge over the Sambre, to which the
Rue du Pont leads direct from the Place d Armes, is the Ancienne
Boucherie (built 1588), now containing the Mustz ArcukoLoGiquE
(P1. 8; D, 3), an extensive collection of antiquities, found in the
province of Namur. The museum is open to the public on Sun.,
10-4 (in winter 11-1); to strangers daily on payment of a fee (4 pers.
‘/9 fr.). Custodian, Rue des Bouchers 4. Director, A. Becquet.
ist FLoor. Main Room: Prehistoric Antiquities. To the left of the entrance
are articles of the stone age from Hastedon, Linciaux, and Sclaigneaux ;
by the left wall, articl of the bronze age, the first iron (or Hallstatt)
age (Sinsin), and the Celtic or second iron age (Louette-Saint-Pierre). —
Farther on and in the first row of glass-cases are “Belgic-Roman Antiquities
from Namur (vases), Flavion, Anthée, Ciney, Wancennes, etc., including
enamelled fibule, ‘sigillata’ vessels, and glass. By the end-wall is a Belgic
tomb, with articles found in it (1st or 2nd cent. A.D.). — The Frankish
Antiqu $s are arranged along the right long wall and in the second row
of ca These include objects found in tombs at Eprave, Spontin (tomb
of the 5th cent., with numerous relics), Rochefort, St. Gérard (Christian
tomb of the 7th cent.), Pry, Samson, and Furfooz.
BakvekeR Ss Belgium and Holland. 15th Edit,
Last OCR 2020-09-04 23:41:14
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience