230 Route 20. ROCHEFORT. From Dinant
Frontal, and Trou Rosette (guide, 1 fr.). From Furfooz we m
to the E. to the (2!/, M.) ancient chateau of Weve or Celles. picturesquely
situated in a lateral valley; farther up is the modern chateau of Miranda
in the English Gothic style; both belong to Count Liedekercke-Beaufort.
Farther on we reach Celles, about 21/2 M. to the N.E. of Gendron (see
p- 229), with a Romanesque church.
S1/y M. Ardenne, situated in the narrowest part of the winding
valley, is the station for the fashionable Hotel Chateau Royal d’Ar-
denne (‘785 ft.), formerly a royal hunting-lodge (rebuilt in 1874-91),
standing upon a hill between the Lesse and its tributary the Ywoigne.
The hotel, which was leased in 1897 by the international Com-
pagnie des Grands-Hotels, is surrounded by an extensive park (golf),
well stocked with game (fine view from the Tour Léopold). i
Numerous bridges and tunnels are passed as the train ascends
to (10 M.) Houyet (425 ft.; Hot. de la Lesse), another station for
the Chateau d’Ardenne (see above) and junction for the branch-
line to Bertrix (see R. 21).
Tunnel. — 12M. Hour-Havenne; 13M. Wanlin ; 1831/5 M. Vignée,
neat which is the royal chateau of Ciergnon, on a steep rock, with a
fine park. — 151/, M. Villers-sur-Lesse-Jamblinnes.
18 M. Eprave ( Hétel Malarm; Hotel Marneffe), at the confiuence
of the Lomme and the Lesse, is 8 M. to the N.W. of Han-sur-Lesse
(@. 231). In the *Trou du Rond Tienne (guides at the hotels), to
the E. of Eprave, the branch of the Lomme which disappears in the
erottoes of Rochefort (see below), bursts forth again to the light of
day. — In the vicinity is an interesting Roman camp, where
numerous coins have been found; Celtic and Frankish graves also
have been discovered.
201/, M. Rochefort. — Hotels. *Hdrer Brrow, with garden, 100 R.
at 2-5, B. 1, D. 2'/2, pens. 5-40 fr., omn. free; Horer pe 1’Erore. also
with garden, 76 R. at 2:3, B. 1, D. 22, pens. 5-7 fr.; HOrer-RESTAURANT
pu Centre, 30 R. at 36 fr.
Rochefort (625 ft.), with 2900 inhab., formerly the capital of
the County of Ariennes, which belonged to the Counts Stolberg in
1548-74 and 1737-95, is adapted for a stay of some time. The
town occupies an elevated site on the Lomme, commanded by the
Tuins of an old castle (adm. 50 c.; view). The Romanesque Church,
was erected after plans by Cluysenaer in 1874. Fine view from the
Loreto Chapel. Opposite is the’modem chateau of Beauregard. —
An avenue of old lime-trees leads to the *Grotte de Rochefort,
one of the finest of the numerous caverns in the limestone rocks of
the neighbourhood. It belongs to the same company as the Grotte
de Han (p. 234); admission, including electric lighting, 6 fr. A
rapid visit to it takes 11/,-2 hours. The ‘Salle des Merveilles’, ‘Salle
du Sabbat’ (said to be upwards of 400 ft. high), ‘Val d’Enfer’, and
‘Les Arcades’ are the finest points. — Light railway from Roche-
fort to Han and Wellin, see Daole
23 M. Jemelle (p. 233).
Last OCR 2020-09-04 23:45:35
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience