||TIRLEMONT. 23. Route. 237
99 M. Tirlemont, Flem. Thienen (448 ft.; Hot. du Nouveau-
Monde, near the station, R. 2, B.1, D.2fr.; Hot. Ponsaerts, in
the market-place, R. 41)o-2, D. 2 a) a clean and well-built town
with 17,800 inhab. _ was once occupied by a much larger population.
The limits of the town, which are 6 M. in circumference, now
enclose a large extent of arable land. In the spacious market-place
is situated the church of Notre-Dame du Lac, finished only in the
choir (4297) and transepts (15th cent. ); it contains elaborate panel-
g, pulpit, and « shoir-stalls in the baroque style(1674). The Church
of St. Germain, partly Romanesque, has early- -Gothic triforium and
windows. The axis of the choir forms an angle of 7° with that of the
30th churches have been restored.
it To Mott, 43 M., railway in 21/2 hrs. Chief inter-
M. Weerlinter (see below); 12 M. G etz; 15}/2 M.
Di est (p. 209); /2M. Diest, on the Ree es A Ja-Chapelle
2 109); 24 M. De z-Diest; 26 M. Tessenderloo; 301/2 M. Oostham.
Near (35 M.) Bourg- Leopold, the junction of steam-tramways to Hasselt
(p. 209) and Maeseyck (p. 209), is the Camp de Beverloo, a permanent camp
d manceuvre-ground of the Belgian army. A0!/2M. Baelen-sur-Néthe. —
M. J ‘
xt to St. TRonD anp ToNGEREN, 28 M., railway in
1/2 M. Neerlinter (see above). — 10 M. Léau, Flem. Zout-
wurant Bruxellois, near the station), a town of 2100 inhab.,
a fortress, with a handsome late-Gothic Town Hall (16th cent.)
ic oe of *St. Leonhard (13th and 14th cent.). The latter,
ere not despoiled in the 16th cent., cont ains
(with early-Flemish paintings) and in
J in the right aisle), an unusually large collection
of admirable Gothic works of the 15th cent. (holy-water vessel,
lectern in the form of an eagle, six-light candelabrum, 20 ft. in
tabernacle-railing), and a magnificent *Tabernacle sculptured in
, 02 ft. e of ae finest works of the Belgian Renaissance, ex-
architect of the Antwerp Hotel
1eur of Oplinter, who is buried
cae Kensington as Rae The sacristy contains some
sssels. — 131) St. Trond (p. 238), the junction for
—17 a, Orda 24!/2M. Looz, on the Oreye-Hasselt
. Pirange. — 28 M. Tonge ron, see p. 434.
, 20 2 M., railway in 11/2-2!/, hrs. Stations
rom Jodoigne te am-tramways run to Wavre (see p. 244),
to Louvain ( p- 243), to Tilly (see p. 244), and to Esemael (see below). —
13 M. Ramill the junction of the Landen and Gembloux line (see p. 238).
— From (16 M.) Noville- Taviers a branch-Jine runs to Embresin; and from
Egh ply to ay Denis-Bovesse (p. 233) and to Andenne
. Namur, see p. 221.
ply from Pirle mont via (18 M.) Aerschot (p. 208) to
. 163); via (91/2 M.) Beauvechain (p. 243), (4151/2 M.) Weert-
and (22l/2 M.) Vossem (p. 243) to (24 M) Tervueren
M.) St. Trond (p. 238).
331/o M. Esemael. — 351/9 M. Neerwinden is well known on
account of the two great battles fought nearit. In the first of these,
on 29th July, 1693, the French under Marshal Luxembourg defeated
the Allies under William IJ. of England. In the second the French
under Dumouriez and Louis Philippe (then ‘General Egalité’, after-
wards King of France) were defeated by the Austrians under the
Prince of Cobourg and driven out of Belgium (18th March, 1793).
M.) Haecht (
es (p. 2
p. 147); and to (