to Jemelle. GROTTE DE HAN. 20. Route. 231
The imposing Caverns of Han are most conveniently reached from
Rochefort by the Ligur Rarzway (Chemin de Fer Vicinal), which
starts from the station in connection with the trains: to the Grotte
in 1/)hr., there and back 4 fr. 20c. This light railway descends
the picturesque valley of the Lomme, and then mounts to the village
L eh 9 M.) Han-sur-Lesse (Hotel Bellevue et de la Grotte, Hétel
geurs, with similar charges, R. from 2, D. 21/5 ee Thence
n line goes on to (91 M.) Wellin (see below and p. 234),
W a branch to the left leads over the crest of the steep Rochers
de Faule to the —
5 M. Grotte de Han. Admissi ) fr.; the guides also expect a small
Parties are e caves 8 times daily in summer
to suit the train 3 about 2 hrs.
proofs, and stout boots desirable. iption of the entir
f , with mien and views ld for 50 c.
e Han, which has been known since 1774 and is
annually visited thousands of pe , has a total length of 3 M.
(though not accessible throughout), The river Lesse flows through it.
The station of the light railway is at the so-called Trou au Salpétre
(575 ft.), the entrance, 10 min. from the Perte dela L or Gouffre
de Bal aur (520 ) ft.), the spot where the foaming stream disappears
in the aby : m consists of a series of chambers, the W.
portion eo which is inaccessible when the river is high. The most
imposing points are the Précipice, the Galerie de I’ Hirondelle, the
Salle des Mamelons, the Trophée, the Merveilleuses, the Mysteriev
and the Alhambra (four chambers with the most beautiful stalac tites),
the Salle d’ Armes (around chamber, where wine is offered for sale),
and the *Sallz du Déme (505 ft. long, 460 ft. wide, and 390 ft.
high). T becomes visible near the Place d’Armes. Visitors
emer the other end through the Trou de Han in a boat, to the
cannon-shot echoing among the rocks. The station of
the steam-tramway is reached in 5 minutes more,
21. From Houyet to Bertrix.
36 M. Raruway in 5 brs. (fares 5 fr. 50, 3 fr. 70, 2fr. 20c.).
Houyet, see p. 230. The line quits the valley of the Lesse and
ascends that of the Hilan to (31/, M.) Wiesme. — 6 M. Beauraing
(595 ft.; Hot. du Luxembourg, R. 41/9, D. 21/4 fr.; Hét. du Nord)
has a he autiful park cont aining the remains of a chateau burned
down in 1889, which the Duke of Osuna had built in 18
the ruins of a medieval castle. — 10 M. Pondréme; 14 M. Voné che.
— 19 M. Gedinne (1040 ft.; H6t. Bayot; Lion d’ Or), in the valley
of the Houille. — From (24 M.) Graide a light railway runs to
Wellin (16 M.; see above and p. 234). Diligence to Vresse, see
p- 232. — 27 M. Carlsbourg.
St/o M. Paliseul (1355 ft.; H6t. des Ardennes) is the station
for a light tailway to Poiw-St-Huhert (18 M.; p. 234) and of another
Last OCR 2020-09-04 23:46:33
Creation date in Dams
8 8 8
Adobe Systems Inc.
Capture One 9 Windows
(Binary value suppressed)
5898524 1193614083 540 262146
Digital still camera
(Binary value suppressed)
This media file falls into the public domain. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
The metadata is licensed with a creative commons zero license. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
If you use this media file and / or the metadata, we would appreciate it if you copied the information from the Acknowledgements field as a source reference. When used in a publication, we would like to receive a copy for our library.
K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience
Baedeker, Karl, Belgium and Holland, including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg: handbook for travellers, K 29612:[a,1,11], Collectie Stad Antwerpen, Erfgoedbibliotheek Hendrik Conscience