||238 Route 23. LANDEN.
38 M. Landen (205 ft.; Hot. de la Hesbaye, R. 11/4 fr., B. 60c.,
D. 11/9 ir.), the junction of several lines, is historically interesting as
the birthplace of Pepin the Elder, the majordomo of the royal domains
of the Austrasian monarch Dagobert I. He died here about the year
640 and was buried at the foot of a hill which still bears his name;
his remains were afterwards removed to Nivelles (p. 157).
From Lanpen To Hassett, 18 M., railway in 3/,4 br. This route
passes through hilly country. — 7M. St. Trond, Flem. Sint Truiden (177 ft.;
Hot. du Commerce, R. 2, B. 1, D. 2 fr.), with 15,300 inhab., is the most im-
portant station. In the Grand’ Place is the Hétel de Vil d
cent. to the Betjry of 16U6. The Gothic church of Notre-Dame (
tower and W. facade modern) contains a fresco of the Last Judgment (over
the choir; 1626) and other old paintings. The tower of the Seminary Church
is a relic of the old abbey of St. Trudo. The tower of St. Martin’s (9th cent.)
bears an equestrian statue of the saint. The Church of the Franciscans
Giglise des Récollets; 1731) has a spacious interior. St. Trond is the
junction for the Tirlemont-Tongeren line (see p. 237). Steam-tramways via
Oreye (p. 209) to Waremme (see above) and to Ans (see below); to Tirle-
mont (p. 237); and to Esemael (p. 237). — 10 M. Cortenbosch; 1441/2 M. Alken. —
18 M. Hassett, see p. 209.
From LanpDEN To GEemBLOUX (Fleurus-Tamines and Fleurus-Charleroi),
23 M., railway in 1 hr. Chief stations: Lincent, Orp. Jauche, Autre-Eglise,
Ramillies (12M. ; p. 237), Perwez, Gembloux (23 M.; p. 233). From Gembloux
to Fleurus and Tamines, see p from Fleurus to Charleroi, see pp. 244, 245.
About 1M. to the E. of Jauche or Autre-Eglise is Folx-les-Caves, with
curious subterranean quarries, like those of Valkenburg (p. 210); guide in
the adjacent brewery.
Landen is also the junction for a line coming from Ciney, which
intersects the Namur-Liége line at Huy (see p. 233).
39'/5 M. Gingelom. — Rosoux-Goyer, Flem. Roost - Jeuk. —
46 M. Waremme, Flem. Borgworm (390 ft.), was the capital of the
ancient province of Hesbaye, the natives of which were famed for
their strength and bravery, as the old proverb, ‘Qui passe dans le
Hesbain est combattu Vendemain’, suggests. Steam-tramways N.E.
to Oreye (see above) and S. to Huy (see p. 270). — Beyond Waremme
the line crosses the ancient and well-preserved Roman road, called
by the country- people Route de Brunhilde, which extended from
Bayay (Bagacum Nerviorum), near Mons, to Tongeren.
A9!/M. Remicourt; 53 M. Fexhe-le-Haut-Clocher; 56 M. Bierset-
Awans. Numerous coal-mines, foundries, and manufactories are
passed in the vicinity of (68 M.) Ans, which lies 348 ft. higher than
Liége. Branch-line to Liers (p. 434); steam-tramway via Oreye to
St. Trond (see above) and to Looz (p. 237). — 60 M. Haut-Pré.
The line now descends rapidly (1: 30), affording a fine view of
the populous city of Liége and the beautiful valley of the Meuse.
641/yM. Liége, see p. 245.
Hotels. In the town: HOrer pz Sukps (Pl. a; C,2), Rue Vital-Decoster 3,
near the Place du Peuple, with restaurant, 22 R. at W/e5, B.4, aéj. 2,
D. 3 fr., well spoken of; Hérer Mirropore (Pl. b; C, 2), adjoining the
above, 16 R. at 3-6, B.4, déj. 2!/2 fr.; Hore. BriTanNiqoe, Rue du Chéne 6