||244 Route 25. VILLERS. From Louvain
Chateau Héverlé (see p. 243). — Farther on: Weert-St-Georges,
Florival, Gastuche. — 15 M. Wavre, to which the Prussians
retreated after the battle of Ligny (p. 245), has a handsome mon-
ument by Van @mberg (1859). The foundations of a Roman villa
and tumuli of the same period were found in the environs in 1904.
Steam-tramway via Rixensart to Braine-]’Alleud and to Jodoigne,
see pp. 157, 237. — 17 M. Limal. — 18 M. Ottignies, where the
Brussels and Namur line is crossed (p. 233). To Baulers and to
Manage and Mons, see pp. 218, 217. In the vicinity rises the huge
quadrangular tower of Moriensart (13th cent.). — 19 M. Céroug-
Mousty; 20M. Court-St-Etienne(p. 218); 23M. La Roche(Brubant).
The train now passes close to the imposing ruins of the Cister-
cian abbey of *Villers, founded in 14147 and destroyed in 1796, and
stops at (25 M.) Villers-la-Ville (300 ft.; Rail. Restaurant; Hotel
des Ruines, R. 21/o, D. 3 fr., with café-restaurant, good). The ruins,
which were bought by the Belgian government in 1893 and are now
restored (adm. 25 c.) lie about 1/, M. to the N. of the station. The
road to them skirts the Thyle. Beyond the court is the refectory,
a tasteful structure in the transition style, with two rows of windows.
The cloisters, chiefly Gothic, date from the 14-16th cent., and are
adjoined by the ruined Gothic church, erected in 1240-42, The latter
contains tombstones of Dukes of Brabant of the 14th century. The
old brewery in the transition style is worthy of notice also. An
eminence outside the Porte de Bruxelles, to the W., commands a
good survey of the whole ruin.
271/, M. Tilly (430 ft.) is believed to have been the birthplace
of the general of that name. Steam-tramway to Chastre (p. 233)
and Jodoigne (p. 237) and to Courcelles (p. 219). — 29 M. Marbais.
301/o M. Ligny, famous for the battle of 16th June, 18!5 (see
33 M. Fleurus (see p. 245), junction for the lines to Gembloux-
Landen (p. 238), to Tamines (p. 221), to Chatelineau (p. 220), to
Jumet-Brilotte (p. 158), and to Nivelles-Baulers (p. 158). Steam-
tramway via Onoz-Spy to Namur, see p. 224. — 35!/, M. Ransart,
also a station on the line from Jumet (p. 158) to Fleurus (see above).
— From (38 M.) Lodelinsart, a busy place with coal-mines and
glass-works, a branch-line runs via (41/) M.) Chatelineau-Chatelet
to Givet (see p. 220). Lodelinsart is a station on the steam-tram-
way from Charleroi to Chatelineau (p. 219).
Battle Fields. This district is famous in military annals as the scene
of several important battles, the last and chief of which was that of Ligny.
Sombreffe, near Marbais, and 6 M. from Quatre Bras (p. 218), was occu-
pied on 15th June, 1815, by the 2nd and 3rd Prussian Corps d’Armée under
Marshal Bliicher, who late in the evening received intelligence that Gen.
Biilow with the 14th corps could not come to his assistance as originally
concerted. The brave marshal accordingly resolved to fight alone, if ne-
cessary. Wellington had agreed to co-operate with Blucher, but the
British troops were too far distant to render assistance, whilst those
whose position was nearest to the Prussians were fully occupied at the
Battle of Quatre Bras. It is well authenticated that the Duke expressed